Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New windows needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default New windows needed

Hello everyone. I have read the older posts regarding window replacement, but I am wondering if the "glass" (plastic or whatever it is) can be removed/replaced without disturbing the fabric? Can anyone help with that? I also read where the single glass has been replaced with sliding glass. Can that be completed on both sides? If so, does anyone have the part numbers for the new tracks?

Also, is there somewhere that I can borrow the tool needed for replacing the shock cords?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New windows needed

Which short wing do you have?

I took everything out (except the windshield) of my PA20 and cut new windows with a sheet of acrylic from Home Depot. Easy project. No fabric removal. Use the old windows as templates and I cut it with a jig saw and drilled the holes with a rotobroach hole saw.

A 4x8 sheet of acrylic will give you plenty to make all the windows and have left overs in case you crack any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have the PA-22-135. I don't need the front windshield replaced; just the sides. How did you get the old ones out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siouxpilot77 View Post
    Which short wing do you have?

I took everything out (except the windshield) of my PA20 and cut new windows with a sheet of acrylic from Home Depot. Easy project. No fabric removal. Use the old windows as templates and I cut it with a jig saw and drilled the holes with a rotobroach hole saw.

A 4x8 sheet of acrylic will give you plenty to make all the windows and have left overs in case you crack any.

I have the PA-22-135. I don't need the front windshield replaced; just the sides. How did you get the old ones out?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine were attached with silicon. Just take the trim off and pop them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siouxpilot77 View Post
    Mine were attached with silicon. Just take the trim off and pop them out.

Well, that's interesting... I guess I was trying to make it more difficult than it is.

I thought there would be some sort of connections to hold it in place. Thanks for replying. I'll go by and look at it again.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are a member of the Shortwing Piper Club you an borrow their Bungee Buddy.

You can build your own Bungee Boss (a better tool IMHO) from instructions here:
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...l=1#post125507

Good luck,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rgeboy View Post
    Well, that's interesting... I guess I was trying to make it more difficult than it is.

I thought there would be some sort of connections to hold it in place. Thanks for replying. I'll go by and look at it again.
    On the inside left front window of your airplane are metal 90 degree aluminum strips that are screwed in with #4 screws against the glass. Remove these strips and the glass will pop out to the inside of the airplane. Right front doors is similar but the rear door is a larger panel that is screwed in place... Right rear window is held in from the front edge by a retaining strip and screws in the door jam, remove that and the window slides out the front out of the channel.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New windows needed

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    On the inside left front window of your airplane are metal 90 degree aluminum strips that are screwed in with #4 screws against the glass. Remove these strips and the glass will pop out to the inside of the airplane. Right front doors is similar but the rear door is a larger panel that is screwed in place... Right rear window is held in from the front edge by a retaining strip and screws in the door jam, remove that and the window slides out the front out of the channel.

Brian.
    Brian

Your reply is much better then mine. I just remember taking stuff apart, cutting windows, and then putting it back together. I had new “glass” and didn’t have any screws left in the bag I put them in so i figured it was a win

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post

Brian.

Brian,

I have a 1956 Tripacer that I am replacing the left pilot side window and the left rear passenger window on. Wanted to touch base, ask if these directions are still applicable. Any recommendations? Also, when I replace the windows, should I use silicon or some other sealant? Thanks,

Greg