Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PA22-20 tail repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA22-20 tail repair

I've taken over a Pacer project that was started quite awhile ago. This aircraft was involved in a ground incident that damaged one wing and the tail. The previous party lost interest after repairing/recovering the tail feathers and the damaged wing, but they had stripped the fabric off the fuselage with the intention of extending it and possibly making it an experimental. Before cutting into the tubing, work was stopped. Today's question revolves around the lower tail cluster. I'll attach a couple of pictures, but I'm wondering about a couple of cross drilled holes in the rear vertical tubing as well as a horizontal pipe that was been added at some point. Should I close up those holes? Ideas what the horizontal pipe was for?

I have a copy of SB819 that i plan to comply with while the fuselage is bare, any other recommendations for me?

This is my first project and will be my personal plane when complete. Lots of learning ahead...

Thanks!

Tail 1.jpgTail 3.jpg
    Last edited by ahedin; 12-21-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: punctuation, lack of proof-reading

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA22-20 tail repair

I would drill up through aft tail wheel bracket and insert a tight fitting linner tube. Clean out tube first. Drive it upwards as far as possible, maybe 12 inches. Use heavy enough linner tube to drive up with a hammer. Cut off any excess. Rosset weld it in place. Finally, shoot Corrosion X into tube. Looks like a fun project.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I would drill up through aft tail wheel bracket and insert a tight fitting linner tube. Clean out tube first. Drive it upwards as far as possible, maybe 12 inches. Use heavy enough linner tube to drive up with a hammer. Cut off any excess. Rosset weld it in place. Finally, shoot Corrosion X into tube. Looks like a fun project.

Adding an inner tube sleeve? Makes sense.

I also have a 3 foot section of lower longeron that i'm replacing due to a less than straight section that was previously patched over. Just fit that this morning...

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely read Andy's Pacer Restoration thread. Brian did a great job documenting the restoration and lots of great Easter eggs and tips there.

I second the heavy wall tubing up the tail post. The holes where from when a tail skid was in place back when it was a Tri-Pacer (I'm assuming it's a convert). Just rosette weld them to the sleeve.

The little cross tube was a factory thing for moving fuselages around. It hasn't really a use besides that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is a good thread dealing with the holes in the tailpost. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...k-in-tail-post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Here is a good thread dealing with the holes in the tailpost. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...k-in-tail-post
    That was very informative, thanks. Makes me feel a bit better about my fuselage after seeing some of the pictures of bad ones there...

Post Thanks / Like

FYI--- there is a thick steel bushing at the bottom of the tail post-- maybe an inch long.
    Prob. drilling out that bushing is the best way----
    I made a liner out of 2 telescoping tubes. The bigger one butted up against the bushing--- and the inner one was a TIGHT
    (like drive in) fit inside the bushing and sticking out bottom. Welded the two tube together with rosettes before installing. Upper tube stopped just below fin post. Inner one welded to bottom or post around 360. then about 6-8
    rosettes on outer surface. 1 lb1oz total weight. Did both lower longerons with 17 mm liner tubes.

T

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up removing the tail spring bracket and grinding away the weld that holds the short inner pipe. Sleeved it with a pipe that went above the upper cluster and reinstalled the spring bracket. Getting closer to fabric...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim bandy View Post
    FYI--- there is a thick steel bushing at the bottom of the tail post-- maybe an inch long.
    Prob. drilling out that bushing is the best way----
    I made a liner out of 2 telescoping tubes. The bigger one butted up against the bushing--- and the inner one was a TIGHT
    (like drive in) fit inside the bushing and sticking out bottom. Welded the two tube together with rosettes before installing. Upper tube stopped just below fin post. Inner one welded to bottom or post around 360. then about 6-8
    rosettes on outer surface. 1 lb1oz total weight. Did both lower longerons with 17 mm liner tubes.

T
    Tim, where are you sourcing 17mm liner tubes? Are they 4130?

Post Thanks / Like

I found the 17 mm at "spahr metric Inc. 421 McGhee road, winchester Va. I used 1.5 mm - which was a little heavier than ideal--- they list 1 mm - which I think wouild be perfect-- but they didnt have it in stock right then-- thats why I did 1.5 wall.
    The alloy is a low carbon seamless steel--- similar to what the alloy piper used. Never found 4130 in metric.
    17 is the perfect fit.