Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxing pa-20 tail

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boxing pa-20 tail

"Boxing" a pa-20 tail section after longeron repair. I assume this is similar to ones done on super cubs. But I cannot find any information/data or stc on this. Is there any way someone may have some information on this repair/alteration? It consists of adding some structural tubing about 1 to 2 feet forward of the tail post and rear most cluster, welding an additional tube to each longeron in a square pattern (2 vertical and 2 hortizontal) to reinforce the tail. If anyone has any info on if this has been done before please let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Boxing pa-20 tail

Do you have any pictures of the modification? Cubs, pacers, Tripacers anything so I can see exactly what your talking about. Also why the modification, I've seen more then one Pacer that got bent and the MOD your talking about wouldn't have helped much.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Post #277 on Andy's restoration on this page...

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...-thread/page28

The tubes help the lower longerons from 'twisting' when turning on rough ground. Only do this on Tailwheel conversions.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think it is that big of an issue in the Pacer from what I have seen. Cubs have a lot longer span there and a different structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I don't think it is that big of an issue in the Pacer from what I have seen. Cubs have a lot longer span there and a different structure.
    Personal experience, I have repaired several PA-22/20s that have bent that lower tube dropping the tailwheel into an unseen hole.. Actually have a neighbor at the end of the runway that is in the process of repairing his for the second time, this time adding the mod.
    Just my 2C

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Boxed mine....figured why, using a baby bushwheel..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! I've been trying to respond but I guess my posts havnt gotten approved from a moderator? Anyways, im looking to see what data you used to approve this modification? Does anyone have a 337 or something to justify this mod to the faa?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thatflyguy View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I've been trying to respond but I guess my posts havnt gotten approved from a moderator?
    No moderation other than when you initially sign up due to an abnormal amount of spammers lately. Your posts should go through.

I know of no FAA approvals, maybe Brian has gotten some.

Post Thanks / Like

20201228_111316.jpg

This is the mod on the pa-18 done by dakota cubs, I called them to try to get some info on the mod. How did you all approve your modification? Its certainly a major alteration being structural tubing and longerons and your welding on the frame. Unless you went experimental?

Post Thanks / Like

Since the Cub fuselage is longer and thinner, the aft portion can twist with side loads on the tailwheel. The Pacer is shorter and wider, so it is much more rigid, doesn’t really need the added bracing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk