Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Garmin GI275

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dual Garmin GI275

I’ve deleted the vacuum system for the dual GI275 installation. Ran out of Cat yellow…resorted to Lycoming gray.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 07-05-2022 at 05:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Primer Lines

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post

I’ve deleted the vacuum system for the dual GI275 installation. Ran out of Cat yellow…resorted to Lycoming gray.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    With two GI275, are you keeping the steam airspeed altimeter and VSI? I considered the same thing because of limited panel space, but decided to stay VFR. From what I read though two 275s allow you to ditch all steam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    With two GI275, are you keeping the steam airspeed altimeter and VSI? I considered the same thing because of limited panel space, but decided to stay VFR. From what I read though two 275s allow you to ditch all steam
    the AMFS manual states that if you have 2 GI 275s that end in the -10 part number and you have installed the reversion switch, magnetometer, a non-stabilized magnetic compass, an IFR GPS navigator, and have backup batteries installed in both you are allowed to remove everything and run with just the 275s. I think a real slick setup would be 2 of the -10s installed in a traditional style with ADI on top and HSI on bottom and have an EIS on the left and one of the MFDs (-00) on the right in the shape of a T would be a real slick setup. You could have the MFD on the traffic page which looks kind of like a radar or a moving map and only have one area to scan for instrument checks. Only problem is when I showed my wallet that setup it started to cry...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iRideKTM View Post
    the AMFS manual states that if you have 2 GI 275s that end in the -10 part number and you have installed the reversion switch, magnetometer, a non-stabilized magnetic compass, an IFR GPS navigator, and have backup batteries installed in both you are allowed to remove everything and run with just the 275s. I think a real slick setup would be 2 of the -10s installed in a traditional style with ADI on top and HSI on bottom and have an EIS on the left and one of the MFDs (-00) on the right in the shape of a T would be a real slick setup. You could have the MFD on the traffic page which looks kind of like a radar or a moving map and only have one area to scan for instrument checks. Only problem is when I showed my wallet that setup it started to cry...
    I’m not certain of the GI 275 model numbers? Northern Lights Avionics is doing the installation. I’m mounting the magnetometer, GPS antenna and the OAT for those instruments to enable the removal of the vacuum system. Leaning on their expert to choose the right equipment on this job.
    Note…didn’t get any reply on my question…went ahead and silver soldered the primer line tees to the mounting brackets from Univair…just to Lucy Goosey for my level of wear isolation err…ethic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    Keeping the VSI, Altimeter and may reinstall the Venturi for the turn slip indicator. With those three instruments, if the power and batteries fails I can easily keep it right side up.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree with you, my Clipper only has a 4 pack, airspeed altimeter turn coordinator and VSI. I got in an unforcast snowstorm a few years ago and vis was pretty much strait down.. I could see maybe half mile in front of me, was at 1000 agl, anyway I was able to fly.. well keep it level and on course with just those. Airspeed is not as important as VSI and turn coordinator, those two are the life savers, as long as you have your power settings for whatever performance you are looking for, the VSI gives a good pitch indication. I did buy a portable EFIS after that experience though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    I’m not certain of the GI 275 model numbers? Northern Lights Avionics is doing the installation. I’m mounting the magnetometer, GPS antenna and the OAT for those instruments to enable the removal of the vacuum system. Leaning on their expert to choose the right equipment on this job.
    Note…didn’t get any reply on my question…went ahead and silver soldered the primer line tees to the mounting brackets from Univair…just to Lucy Goosey for my level of wear isolation err…ethic.

The -10s have the connections for pitot-static on the back and have the AHRS inside. What location are you mounting the magnetometer to?

Post Thanks / Like

The 4 Gi 275s would be pretty sweet, I have installed 4 in a C172S in a similar configuration, except keeping all of the other steam gauges. The thing is, once you get about three GI 275s, the ATT, HSI, and EIS, you could have just about bought a 10.6" G3X Touch with integrated EIS. And the G3X is a much better package in my opinion. Though I just installed the GI 275 EIS in my PA-22-150 and it is a game changer!

Post Thanks / Like

The -10s have the connections for pitot-static on the back and have the AHRS inside. What location are you mounting the magnetometer to?
    Left wing centered between the ribs outboard of the Dakota Cub fuel tanks towards the front spar. That should be more than 20” from any ferrous fasteners or parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stockdale View Post
    The 4 Gi 275s would be pretty sweet, I have installed 4 in a C172S in a similar configuration, except keeping all of the other steam gauges. The thing is, once you get about three GI 275s, the ATT, HSI, and EIS, you could have just about bought a 10.6" G3X Touch with integrated EIS. And the G3X is a much better package in my opinion. Though I just installed the GI 275 EIS in my PA-22-150 and it is a game changer!
    Yeah that has crossed my mind. The catch to that is you have to use either a G5 or a GI275 as your backup for the EFIS so it comes down to either do 4 over time as budget allows or cut the big check for a G3X and GI275 all at once. If uAvionix gets the AV-30 IFR compliant (which I'm hoping happens with the magnetometer) that will be the way to go since you can get 2 AV-30s for the price of one GI275. I'd like to build a Bearhawk in about 7-8 years so that'll be where I go full glass with whatever flavor of G3X exists at the time.