Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: PA 18 Landing Gear on my Super Pacer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA 18 Landing Gear on my Super Pacer

Hasn't been warm enough to wear mine yet. Hope to see you at Johnson Creek or Oshkosh and check out the new mods.

Post Thanks / Like

Fly to Ashland and take in some Shakespeare... Stop here for a visit, lunch, cup of coffee...

Brian...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Fly to Ashland and take in some Shakespeare... Stop here for a visit, lunch, cup of coffee...

Brian...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is a great idea. We haven't flown down for Shakespeare or seen you guys for a long time.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

If I had taken a video, you would have seen me shivering. The sun is finally out but, not much punch yet.

Post Thanks / Like

What did you do with your removed Pacer gear?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Finstad View Post
    What did you do with your removed Pacer gear?
    It's been sold.

Post Thanks / Like

For doing this mod I'm trying to figure out what all it entails. From looking at the pictures and seeing what Stephen wrote it looks like the required fabrication is the two cross members and adding additional support for the frame going up to the left wing, is that pretty accurate so far? Also Eddie's website says Airframes Alaska carries the brackets and I'm assuming it's the PA-18 strut/gear brackets and two of those doubled up forward gear brackets. I figure ballpark $7k for supplies and STC not counting brakes and wheels but I'm sure I'm missing something. The supply of already converted 150/160s seems to be low on the market so I'm trying to figure out what I would need if I end up with a Tri Pacer still on nosegear. If someone has a lead on a 150 or 160 with the Trimmer gear already done and willing to wait until I return home late fall/early winter that would be the golden ticket!

-Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iRideKTM View Post
    For doing this mod I'm trying to figure out what all it entails. From looking at the pictures and seeing what Stephen wrote it looks like the required fabrication is the two cross members and adding additional support for the frame going up to the left wing, is that pretty accurate so far? Also Eddie's website says Airframes Alaska carries the brackets and I'm assuming it's the PA-18 strut/gear brackets and two of those doubled up forward gear brackets. I figure ballpark $7k for supplies and STC not counting brakes and wheels but I'm sure I'm missing something. The supply of already converted 150/160s seems to be low on the market so I'm trying to figure out what I would need if I end up with a Tri Pacer still on nosegear. If someone has a lead on a 150 or 160 with the Trimmer gear already done and willing to wait until I return home late fall/early winter that would be the golden ticket!

-Jared
    This is basically correct. You will want to do this mod on a stripped down frame, at least the forward part. Have the help of a good welder. Yes, Airframes has all the parts.

BTW, ACME shocks are much better than the Maule shocks but, they are not certified.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    This is basically correct. You will want to do this mod on a stripped down frame, at least the forward part. Have the help of a good welder. Yes, Airframes has all the parts.

BTW, ACME shocks are much better than the Maule shocks but, they are not certified.
    One thing I totally spaced on is tail wheel. Which one does the STC call for? Guess there's another 2.5 AMUs to add to the list... The Univar landing gear looks like it's made outta twigs but seems to be the STC of choice for used Pacers when they do pop up. Anyone ever had one fold on them with 26 inch tires?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Scott 3200. I used Airframes gear and I have 29's. It is beafy.