Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PA 18 Landing Gear on my Super Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA 18 Landing Gear on my Super Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by RobertC View Post
    Hey, I got a new landing gear! You show me yours, I'll show you mine.
    I'm not going to look.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Do you foresee any issues between your control stick mod and the Trimmer gear mod?
    I would think the Trimmer gear would be better for a stick mod in a Pacer. Gets rid of the hydrosorbs that are right in the way of Clipper type sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

True!

I had to locate my Sticks to the front side of the seats because of the Hydrosorbs. If I had the Trimmer PA 18 gear I could have done it the same as the PA 16.

I would think if you had the Trimmer PA 18 grear it would be straight forward for the FAA to approve PA 16 style sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I would think the Trimmer gear would be better for a stick mod in a Pacer. Gets rid of the hydrosorbs that are right in the way of Clipper type sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This is the ugly part.

Trimmer 11.jpg

Forward cross tube done. Next is new rear cross tube.

Trimmer 10.jpg

PA 22/20 Pacer grear and hydras removed.

Trimmer 12.jpg
    Last edited by Stephen; 01-06-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wondered, every time I take on a major project there is usually a monkey wrench thrown in there that I never saw. I knew you had had to move the mixer forward of the carry-thru truss and wondered if there were any clearance issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I wondered, every time I take on a major project there is usually a monkey wrench thrown in there that I never saw. I knew you had had to move the mixer forward of the carry-thru truss and wondered if there were any clearance issues.
    It worked fine. I had to shorten the elevator rod to the bell crank. I made my own control mechanism based on the PA 16. I had to make adjustments to the aileron control to get full range of motion and have adaquate leg clearance. This was done by locating the cable attachment point on the control stick and angling the pulley. If I raise the attachment point I got more aileron travel per stick movement. The other adjustment was the stops. The stop is when the stick hits the tube. I had to do some grinding to get it correct. I didn't see any complications other than the location of the flap handle by moving the stick forward of the seat truss.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Steve Pierce;129817]I wondered, every time I take on a major project there is usually a monkey wrench thrown in there that I never saw. I knew you had had to move the mixer forward of the carry-thru truss and wondered if there were any clearance issues.[/QUOTE

I was thinking that moving the sticks aft of the carry through truss might mean you would eliminate the elevator bell crank. Which would be a little more work.

My solution for the flap relocation came out fine once I discovered that stupid handle extension.

Post Thanks / Like

How is your modification coming along?

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

A suggestion....buy the Maule extended gear Oleo struts. You’ll be able to custom fit it to obtain the correct camber angle. I did mine at 10 degrees unloaded... probably to much..guess I’ll find out when I get skis fit...
    I asked Eddie Trimmer why his Pacer conversion look more like it has 15+ degrees of camber... he stated that he just bolted it together and that’s what I ended up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    A suggestion....buy the Maule extended gear Oleo struts. You’ll be able to custom fit it to obtain the correct camber angle. I did mine at 10 degrees unloaded... probably to much..guess I’ll find out when I get skis fit...
    I asked Eddie Trimmer why his Pacer conversion look more like it has 15+ degrees of camber... he stated that he just bolted it together and that’s what I ended up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I think you could also lengthen the bracket between the bottom of the oleo and the landing gear. I purchased my bracket from Airframes. But, if I feel a I want to change the camber I will machine longer brackets.