Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New main tires today - they vibrate a bit after lift off.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New main tires today - they vibrate a bit after lift off.

Put some new 4 ply 600-6 Air Hawks on the mains today and went out to do some touch-n-go's to scuff them in. Noticed a shudder (wheel imbalance) after first take-off. Next go round it wasn't as pronounced and it was almost gone by the 5th and final t-n-g. Do any of you balance your wheels? Or should I try to reposition the tire on the rim 180 degrees or so? Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New main tires today - they vibrate a bit after lift off.

Hi,

if your wheel bearings are free your tires will rotate to heavy side down when they stop. Every landing will scuff some off that heavy side, they'll balance themselves soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Thanks for this

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry unless its extreme. For future reference, the red dot on the side of the tire is the light side of the tire. I usually put the red spot opposite of the valve stem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Did you line up the red mark on the tire with the valve stem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t see a red mark on my tires. So, no I did not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    I didnít see a red mark on my tires. So, no I did not.
    All tires will have a red dot or line somewhere on the sidewall. This is the light point of the tire. When you install the tire, line it up with the valve stem of the tube as that is normally the heavy point of the tube. Some tubes will have a yellow band painted around the tube. That would be the heavy point if the heavy point isnít lined up with the valve stem.

https://www.goodyearaviation.com/res...-care-2020.pdf

https://aircraft.michelin.com/wp-con..._CSM_Print.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So, thanks to dgapilot for your instruction and insight, sir. As my left main was mounted (by ignorant me) with the red dot 180 degrees out of phase and flopped to the inside, while the right main was only 90 deg. out of phase on the correct side. Jacked them up, dismounted and took both wheels all apart again and put it back together...got dark and cold with some cold rain here in Titusville so will test tomorrow if weather is good. Just wish there had been a simple piece of 8.5" 11" white or pink paper on the inside of the shipping box that said, "align the red dot with your valve stem to ensure proper wheel balance". Cost me 4 hours I could have used for other stuff... Also, so you'all know. The pink dot or yellow dot or green/blue/orange dots on the inner margin near the rim interface of the tire are INSPECTION dots. Called the manufacturer to confirm. NOT to be confused with the Very faint dull glossy red dot midway up on the sidewall that defines where your valve stem should be aligned.

Post Thanks / Like

While pilot owners are permitted to perform preventive maintenance, keep in mind that the same standards and limitations applied to mechanics also apply to pilots performing preventive maintenance. You are not supposed to be performing preventive unless you have satisfactorily performed the work under the supervision of someone who is approved to return that item to service (someone that knows how to do the work!)(65.81). You are supposed to use the manufacturers maintenance publications or accepted practices while performing that work (43.13). When finished, you are to make a maintenance record entry in accordance with 43.9. I provided the tire manuals in links for Goodyear and Michelin. Unfortunately Specialty Tire (McCreary) doesn't publish a similar manual. AC43.13-1B Chapter 9 has a section on tires and wheels that provides procedures acceptable to the Administrator, and in there they talk about the red dot. I neglected to also talk about a Yellow stripe on the tube. Occasionally you will find a yellow stripe on the tube. This is the light spot of the tube. If it is there, the red dot of the tire should align with the yellow stripe rather than the valve stem.

For those performing preventive maintenance, I suggest that you get training on the specific areas you intend to do. This tire alignment issue is a clear case of where not knowing can get you in trouble. Changing the tire is only one aspect here, you should also be inspecting the wheel and bearings as shown in AC 43.13-1B, and also in Chapter 13 of the FAA Mechanics Airframe Handbook available here Aircraft Handbooks & Manuals (faa.gov) These resources are available, you just need to search them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your guidance.