Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New main tires today - they vibrate a bit after lift off.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New main tires today - they vibrate a bit after lift off.

Hi,

Is a valve stem on a wheel without a tire really enough to throw things off?

Reassembling as you found things, stem relation to tire, I can relate too, and a factory balance dot, but the stem having the weight to change a vibrating tire, has me curious.

Tire shops always put tires back on as removed for flat repair so they don't need to repeat a balance weight install.

Although I haven't seen a tire shaving machine in years, they used to shave tires to be round before they were balanced too.

Top brake shops would also radius new brake shoes to match the drum diameter.
    Last edited by Jim; 01-15-2021 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Too much coffee for this size keyboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the valve stem is an indicator like the red dot. Get them off and both the heavy spots of the tube and the tire are off. Good lesson to learn. I remember learning it in A&P school and makes me realize how much I have learned over the years and take for granted that everyone knows it. That is why these forums are good so we can all share this tribal knowledge with each other and we all learn some new stuff. Learned a lot while I was in Cashmere with Dan Stewart earlier this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I neglected to also talk about a Yellow stripe on the tube. Occasionally you will find a yellow stripe on the tube. This is the light spot of the tube. If it is there, the red dot of the tire should align with the yellow stripe rather than the valve stem.
    This doesn't make sense. If the red dot is the light point of the tire which is aligned with the heavy point (stem) of the tube to balance out, why would one put the light point of the tube (yellow stripe) next to the light point of the tire(red dot) instead of the stem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I think the valve stem is an indicator like the red dot. Get them off and both the heavy spots of the tube and the tire are off. Good lesson to learn.
    Now more confused...I thought the red dot indicated the Light spot of the tire. That's why its balanced out by the Heavy spot on the tube, the stem...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is all news to me. I just know they tell us to align the red dot with the valve stem and that has always worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New main tires today - they vibrate a bit after lift off.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    This doesn't make sense. If the red dot is the light point of the tire which is aligned with the heavy point (stem) of the tube to balance out, why would one put the light point of the tube (yellow stripe) next to the light point of the tire(red dot) instead of the stem?
    Sorry for the confusion, yellow stripe on tube is heavy spot, not light spot! My error.

That said, in 50 years of doing this stuff, I think I’ve only ever seen one tube with a yellow stripe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

I guess they're still out there.

https://www.uniquetruck.com/product/...xoC324QAvD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deandayton View Post
    I wouldn't worry unless its extreme. For future reference, the red dot on the side of the tire is the light side of the tire. I usually put the red spot opposite of the valve stem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I said that backwards. The red spot goes on the same side as the valve stem. Sorry for adding to the confusion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You can stop the tire vibration after takeoff by applying the brakes. I was taught to tap the brakes after every takeoff as part of flying complex aircraft to ensure the retracts work correctly (spinning tire has bigger diameter than one at rest).

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, just to follow up. I remounted the tires properly (tire red dot aligned with tube valve stem) about 2 weeks ago, and the balance is about as perfect as can be. Did 5 touch n go's and all smooth. No vibration at all.