Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: CHT probe

Post Thanks / Like

Default CHT probe

While my cylinder is off sent to a shop, I noticed yesterday that my CHT probe spring is missing in action? Possibly stuck in the the cylinder? The probe has a small hole (barely visible) at the top. Can I just put any suitable spring on it for assembly or did I break it? My understanding is that its purpose is just make contact with the head.20210109_113305.jpeg

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CHT probe

The Mitchel website states their bayonet probe is FAA/PMA approved. As far as accuracy, I dont know? It's the only CHT sensor I have. I've never questioned it I guess?
    Removal was not a giant deal. I held the center probe at the metal jacket to unscrew it from the cylinder. (It does turn tight though). I assumed the bottom nut was a jamnut?

Jan
    Last edited by J Ryd; 01-10-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mister, How did you determine your probe has a spring? I searched bayonet probes lycoming and checked out the images of go-duck-go and the ones that have the spring look like they also have an end cap yet they do not have the base structure yours has. The ones that look like yours do not have the spring you say has sprung.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like yours..name.jpgname2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

All probes with springs do not have the lock nut, perhaps the spring is used for back pressure against the threads like the spring in a mixture adjust in a carb? I would not think the probe would require to be pushed against the cylinder because it is already enclosed but that is just my guess.
    Any word about the possible crack?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Hey Mister, How did you determine your probe has a spring? I searched bayonet probes lycoming and checked out the images of go-duck-go and the ones that have the spring look like they also have an end cap yet they do not have the base structure yours has. The ones that look like yours do not have the spring you say has sprung.
    Bill
    I assumed it had one. As Vagabondblues and you pointed out, it looks like I was mistaken. I remenber reading on the internet someplace (so it must be true) that the bayonet probes have a spring to make contact with the head for more accuracy? I guess Mitchell and Westach dont think so?