Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wide gear pacer for training

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wide gear pacer for training

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I agree but wonder about those that get easily disenfranchised and there goes your business. I guess you need to show them the fun things they can do in a Pacer and set some goals of places you can go.
    Good point. A good instructor will keep your head in the game though and keep encouraging you.

Reminds me of the first Ultrasonic Testing course I took for flaw detection. The instructor was up front and told us that this is a 5 day course, day 1-3 you will be completely lost and not know what the heck I am talking about, day 4 things will click and things will become clear and you will enjoy day 5 as you get more proficient and actually bring it all together. I will kiss your back side and give you an hour to draw a crowd if he was not spot on.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been confusing. I'm a CFI and looking at an ariplane to buy. I've owned a Citabria (1827G, currently in Bethel) and a wide gear PA-20/160 (8820D, last listed in Fairbanks, but I think I saw it had a bingle); taught in Citabria's and a little bit in a 140. Got a 140 and Pacer I'm considering. Similar condition and equipment. Flew the Pacer today. Then immediately flew a Cub. I had more trouble with the Cub then the Pacer (haven't flown tailwheel in 17 years). Possibly because of the thought bias of it's easier. It is slower to respond, that's true, but took more input (longer arm, about 2.5 feet if my paceing is accurate) on rudder to make happen what I wanted to happen, and I found myself swinging the tail more then the Pacer, especially at lower speeds. Tail came up quickly and naturally in the Cub. Forward vis was better in the Pacer. The Pacer gear was maybe a bit stiffer. Winds were light, we found a couple crosswinds, neither had any issues of course. Tail came up more easily, and required less tap dancing on ground roll once speed increased. Landings felt about the same. Used 75 as a final speed in Pacer, 60 in Cub. Dont' remember much about the 140 and how ite felt. If memory serves, it was bouncy on the spring steel gear and had a fairly mild roll rate.
    Last edited by sbmackie; 01-19-2021 at 09:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,
    I'm new to this forum. I have recently completed my RV-14A project and am now looking for a PA-22-108 Colt tailwheel conversion project. My question is about the Colt tailwheel handling characteristics. As i understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong, the Colt would be a little shorter wheelbase than the Pacer. Does this effect the handling characteristics much as opposed to the Pacer. I don't have my tail wheel endorsement yet. I will use this for my endorsement although the local CFI does have a Citabria. I apologize for the drift.

Regards,

T. Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T.Martin View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm new to this forum. I have recently completed my RV-14A project and am now looking for a PA-22-108 Colt tailwheel conversion project. My question is about the Colt tailwheel handling characteristics. As i understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong, the Colt would be a little shorter wheelbase than the Pacer. Does this effect the handling characteristics much as opposed to the Pacer. I don't have my tail wheel endorsement yet. I will use this for my endorsement although the local CFI does have a Citabria. I apologize for the drift.

Regards,

T. Martin
    Colt tailwheel and Pacer will both have the same landing gear configuration. All exterior dimensions are the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Same airplane just smaller engine, no back door or back seat.