Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0-290 parts wisdom

Post Thanks / Like

Default 0-290 parts wisdom

Hello,
    I am looking at a Pacer with a 500 hour 0-290d2. Great logs, excellent fabric paint, clean, enthusiast owned, local, etc.

I understand Lycoming doesn't support the 0-290. I've "heard" there are deep state sources for cylinders, etc, etc. True or false? Is it a legit threat the airplane will sit for XX months? Is there any one vital part that is in short supply and/or mui expensive, so much so that I should look eslewhere? Not an A and P, but I can recognize a screw driver 8 out of 10 times.

Thanks
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 0-290 parts wisdom

With only 500 hours I wouldn't be too worried about it. Fly the crap out of it and if/when something happens to the engine you can cross that bridge.

Ours has over 1500 hours and is still going. We're looking at switching out to an 0-320 because it's starting to burn oil but it runs strong. Not sure how much you are going to be flying it but all engines like to be run. We don't run ours enough (about 50-75 hours/year) but even at 100/year you should have a lot of years left in that engine. Lycoming 'recommends' 1500 hours before rebuild but they can go much farther without any problems...or like any engine, less than expected.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

camshaft
    an integral gear D2 camshaft 4800 US the last time I checked- if you can find one

Post Thanks / Like

Called Gibson Aviation in Oklahoma. Mr. Gibson says (in his own inimitable been around the patch a few times style) all parts available,,repairable, or interhchangeable with another model EXCEPT pistons. The must be scrounged. There is a company called Combustion Technology that is making 0290 pistons for the experimental market. $300 a piece. The rep I spoke with says no plans for any FAA approval. Bummer. Wonder if you could get some field approval for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
    Called Gibson Aviation in Oklahoma. Mr. Gibson says (in his own inimitable been around the patch a few times style) all parts available,,repairable, or interhchangeable with another model EXCEPT pistons. The must be scrounged. There is a company called Combustion Technology that is making 0290 pistons for the experimental market. $300 a piece. The rep I spoke with says no plans for any FAA approval. Bummer. Wonder if you could get some field approval for that?

Part of the don't ask don't tell policy. You think someone is gonna tear down your engine to see what pistons you have in it?

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion...... I have had no problem finding pistons for my 290 but they are all oversized. Plus .010” for example, P10 suffix added after part number. Oversized ring sets, http://continental.aero/xPublication...%20PMA/SIL004/ like P10 are also readily available, but aviation manufacturing rules of 300%, 600% markup due to limited production runs drive their cost beyond sanity.

The real scarcity problem is when you decide to chrome your jugs. Chrome cylinders are bored oversized and then plated back to nominal size, meaning your going to need serviceable dimension nominal pistons which no one makes in this case legally for our certified engines.

Todd
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 01-18-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Help me understand: there are pistons out there, but if they are oversize, then I will have to bore out the cylinders, and buy the astronomically expensive rings to complete the job. So, non oversized pistons are becoming unobtanium, and I should assume that if/when the engine needs an overhaul or more then one say two pistons, I should assume I will be sourcing an 0-320 to replace it? Which isn't the worst thing in the world. I've owned one with a 160 HP and it was a nice airplane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
    Help me understand: there are pistons out there, but if they are oversize, then I will have to bore out the cylinders, and buy the astronomically expensive rings to complete the job. So, non oversized pistons are becoming unobtanium, and I should assume that if/when the engine needs an overhaul or more then one say two pistons, I should assume I will be sourcing an 0-320 to replace it? Which isn't the worst thing in the world. I've owned one with a 160 HP and it was a nice airplane.
    Looking back I should have spent the last 10 years scrounging for 320 parts instead of 290 parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Problem is if you are like me you hate to sell them cause you might need them. Concessions ofa true pack rat.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve wanted to own a salvage yard back before his aviation career. He would have gone broke because he would have kept all the wrecks and their high value parts.