Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Slow starter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slow starter

On that '72 Blazer I kept for 30+ years, I did just as Mr Bill describes. Still had the original starter in 2003 and around 250,000 miles, swapped onto second engine. Good advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    At least as big as the power wire.
    So someone on SuperCub.org pointed out the size of the ground strap does not need to be the size of the starter wire since it is shorter. Use the wire size chart in the 43.13 to size the ground wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Steve, 43.13 implies that for the starter current draw of upwards of 185-285 amps, id need 00 gauge cable. That seems overkill for a 1 foot segment, and much bigger than original battery cable size. The standard I think was 4 gauge. I put a 6 in, maybe I'll do another.

Post Thanks / Like

Jake,

Have been wrestling with this problem myself for some time. Cranks fine when the engine is already warmed up but when it's cold I have to "bump" the starter past the first compression stoke to get it to rotate. After years of this work-around I've finally resolved to fix this (I know it's not the battery as like you I put a new one in with no change). Just ordered the Bogert kit to get rid of the nasty straps and studs in the battery box. If nothing else it will make getting the battery in and out a little easier.

The game's afoot!

Regards,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

If you think of that problem like jump starting your truck. Starter just clicks until you move the cable position on the posts. Dirty posts have to be rubbed by the clamps then Zap! Same thing with brushes and commutators when the years take their toll. I like the thought of it being something else besides that dirty job of removing the damn thing and make up ideas of easier things that I could fix or make better but sooner or later that old thing needs cleaning.
    <edit> Oh, current flows better thru warmed up circuits.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update. I put a 6 gauge copper battery cable ground in. Attached to a firewall ground and the engine frame. I wanted to use a 4, but had hardware constraints at the time of install. The starter now works flawlessly. All I had to do was replace the starter, battery, positive cable, and starter solenoid. Naturally, I saved the cheapest fix for last because reasons. I think it might have been easier to find a broken ground strap than a missing one. Oh well, it's fixed, and thank you all for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

So what do you think it was finally?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

There were a few problems with the things i replaced, which led me to believe it was that issue. The battery tested very weak, so it was replaced, but the starter was still slow. The solenoid was a constant duty version, and the wrong application. After taking it apart I found it heavily pocked from arc damage, so it was replaced. The positive cable was bypassed with jumper cables, and that made the starter work better, so it was replaced, but it didn't work, and I still can't explain that one. The starter plunger bendix was not retracting after spinning, so it was assumed there was corrosion in the starter causing drag, so it was replaced. Still didn't work, though it was slightly faster. After adding the ground cable, it spun up without complaint. Honestly it was stupid of me not to check for the ground path first, but for some reason I thought it would return through the engine mount, not thinking of the bushings at the mounting points
    Last edited by flyboyjake; 04-21-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The engine-to-airframe ground, or the battery-to-airframe?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Engine to airframe