Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Split seat mod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Split seat mod

Hi all, so I have looked into changing from a bench seat to a split seat set up in my 55 PA-22. I was looking over the center tube location and notice that it looks like the tube is larger in the split seat configuration. This would be the area were the heater box is and the rails for the seat are located, I will have to change out for a larger tube?

Also I do have all the parts to make the switch but do not have the seat backs. Dose anyone know of a set or have some they are willing to sell?

Sent from my SM-N960U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Split seat mod

Quote Originally Posted by NV Hunter View Post
    Hi all, so I have looked into changing from a bench seat to a split seat set up in my 55 PA-22. I was looking over the center tube location and notice that it looks like the tube is larger in the split seat configuration. This would be the area were the heater box is and the rails for the seat are located, I will have to change out for a larger tube?

Also I do have all the parts to make the switch but do not have the seat backs. Dose anyone know of a set or have some they are willing to sell?

Best bet would be to find a 57 or later fuselage you can cut out the entire seat brackets in the middle from, and then fit them in your fuselage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I should have some seat backs. Trying to remember what the difference is between the seat backs for the bench vs. split seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve, the difference is how wide the lugs are. On the bench seat the mount to the inside but the with of the lugs are too wide for the split seats. I took a measurement yesterday Ill post the picture. When you go to place the bench seat back on the the split bottom the lugs line up with the with of the seat bottoms so one lug would have to be on the inside the other on the out side of the frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like just under 17 on the bench seat backs20210121_104126.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am snowed under at the moment but will get into my stash of seat backs and see what I have. I should have what you need if you don't find it elsewhere before.