Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA-20 vs PA-20A

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-20 vs PA-20A

Did a google, no find.

Just bought a PA-20 125. Owner's manual from Univair has a supplement for the "PA-20A", describing some modifications. The airplane I bought has the electric fuel gauges, the two position master switch, a seat that does slide 6 inches, a drain under the belly by the right gear, and flush door latches. Don't know enough about the trim system to make a call there.

There is no placard for right tank only in level flight. There is placard for level flight with less then a third of a tank.

So, how do I confirm with a serial number which type I have?

Thanks
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-20 vs PA-20A

I don’t think there is a “PA20A”.......pa 20 and pa 20s is all I see. Check the TCSD from the faa.

Post Thanks / Like

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_uGuidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/d0e86e7d5c4d63018625720900739da8/$FILE/1A4.pdf

See 601 note 2 for required placards which includes the fuel tank required placards.
    page 9 of 9 bottom of page.

Evidently if Service Letter 145 has been complied with you don’t need the placard. Strange since AD67-24-02 requires it on the PA22
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-31-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Sitting here I won't swear to the exact wording, but usually there's just one tank restriction plackard. Something along the lines of, Right tank, level flight only with less than third tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

Sitting here I won't swear to the exact wording, but usually there's just one tank restriction plackard. Something along the lines of, Right tank, level flight only with less than third tank.
    That's what the placard in my airplane says.

In the Univair provided Owner's manual, as I said, there is a supplement for the PA-20 A, which details some changes from the original. It might have been internal Piper marketing speak, un related to FAA type certificates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
    That's what the placard in my airplane says.

In the Univair provided Owner's manual, as I said, there is a supplement for the PA-20 A, which details some changes from the original. It might have been internal Piper marketing speak, un related to FAA type certificates.
    Take a picture of the suplement and post it here, all I have is the pdf version I downloaded here https://www.eflightmanuals.com/ITEM_...M.asp?cID=3387

Also some free manuals here http://ohio.shortwingpiperclub.org/M...epot/misc.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PA-16; 01-30-2021 at 10:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I didn’t make it clear in my previous post.

The PA22 AD 67-24-2 required this placard:

To forestall the possibility of engine fuel starvation during takeoff operations, install a placard on the right fuel quantity gauge, as shown in Piper Service Bulletin No. 250 dated June 2, 1967. The placard shall read: "Right Tank Level Flight Only With Less Than 1/3 Tank." A 1/3 tank capacity equals 6 gallons. Aircraft equipped with a single fuel quantity gauge must also have the placard installed.

The PA20 requires no placard if Piper Service Letter 145 is complied with.according to the TCDS.
    https://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SL0145.pdf
    https://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SB0250A.pdf
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-31-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The use code in the parts catalog is based on the specific figure and page associated with that figure, and changes by figure. Example, if you look at Figure 2 you have codes A, B & C wit specific serials for each code. Skip back to figure 10, and you have codes A through G on page 27, but only A through F on page 26. The use code has nothing to do with a sub model designation. I've never heard of the PA-20A, and never saw the owners manual supplement you reference.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot find anything to back it up but I recall something from years ago about someone saying they had a no flap PA-20A. It might have been something in the club’s old email group. Or I may not even be remembering the correct conversation. Anyway I picked up the notion a PA-20 without flaps was an “A” model from somewhere. No flaps would likely require a different flight manual or at least a supplement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I cannot find anything to back it up but I recall something from years ago about someone saying they had a no flap PA-20A. It might have been something in the club’s old email group. Or I may not even be remembering the correct conversation. Anyway I picked up the notion a PA-20 without flaps was an “A” model from somewhere. No flaps would likely require a different flight manual or at least a supplement.
    Flaps were optional on the PA-20-115, all the others came with flaps standard.