Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wagabond float question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wagabond float question

Hello all, first post. I have a wagabond with full metal wings 12ft each plus 10inch wing tips, a subaru ej22 engine with approximately 140hp and a 3 blade warp drive prop. My max vehicle weight is 1985lbs. Empty weight is 1146 lbs but I will be re-weighing it after my newest alterations. Currently it has a modified cessna land gear on it for extra width and I would like to put amphibious floats on it instead as I live on a lake. I am not worried too much about weight at this point I am a bit confused when it comes to floats. One site I looked at said take the float size multiply by 2 then divide by 1.8 and that is the displacement. Here is where I am confused, I was looking at a set of FPNA floats (can't find an internet link) that are 1350 lbs. Does that mean each float can carry 1350 lbs. or both floats together can only carry 1350 lbs which would be way too small for my plane. If its each float then that would mean 2700 lbs? Using the equation I mentioned earlier that would mean they only carry 1500 lbs. ? Which would still be too small. So after all this rambling would I need each float to carry at least 1800 lbs. as per that calculation? Any help, or does anyone else have a wagabond on floats?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wagabond float question

You might want to talk with Montana Float in Libby, MT. Additionally, perhaps ZenAir floats is worth speaking with as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb for floats is the “size” they’re labeled at is the gross weight of the aircraft they can carry. Basically if your gross is 1985 look at something in the 2000 range.
    I.E. EDO 2000’s or if you want experimental amphibs, PK 2050A’s.
    Also you’ll find it pretty anemic on floats with 140hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A friend is building a set of Montana amphib floats for his experimental Super Cub. He was about to close up the last two skins on the bottoms on Labor day.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to ask what hp requirements would a Wag-A-Bond/Clipper have for straight floats? I recently began to consider smaller aircraft such as these (i.e., 1750-2000 gross) to see how well they can meet my needs so this thread is relevant. I have seen a few of these aircraft and they seem to be called 'Super Wag-A-Bond' and have had 150-160 hp engines along with flaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAVC View Post
    I have to ask what hp requirements would a Wag-A-Bond/Clipper have for straight floats? I recently began to consider smaller aircraft such as these (i.e., 1750-2000 gross) to see how well they can meet my needs so this thread is relevant. I have seen a few of these aircraft and they seem to be called 'Super Wag-A-Bond' and have had 150-160 hp engines along with flaps.
    100% related to the mission. If you have enough water in front of you and your a good float pilot, you can do with less power by using proper technique. If you are wanting to haul a load then 150 would be about the least HP I would want and you better have the right prop to make that work well. I would rather have a 65hp Tcraft or champ on floats than a 125 hp short wing.

Post Thanks / Like

akflyer - YES, I need to continue this discussion with you. However, if we do so here I think we'll be hijacking Loki's thread. Should we use the Private Messaging system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would continue the discussion here for the rest of our benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

It's fine with me but I thought doing so would be criticized as taking over the OP's thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I would continue the discussion here for the rest of our benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAVC View Post
    It's fine with me but I thought doing so would be criticized as taking over the OP's thread.
    The original post was Feb 2021, his first and only post, and the first replay was this month.
    I think the OP would be OK with using this thread.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"