Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold in Texas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold in Texas?

Just seen TV reports on the really cold weather you are having in Texas.
    We had our cold 14 days last week. Was sitting at 26 to 32 deg F or lower for that 14 days.
    Some pasts of Scotland dropped down to -9 deg F for 24 hrs...
    We aren't really used to those cold temperatures here in UK..

TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cold in Texas?

-5 here this morning, -1 yesterday morning and 8" of snow. We aren't use to this low of temperatures and neither are our buildings. Water turned off at the hangar and had to thaw the pipes yesterday morning at the house. We are fortunate and have not lost electricity but a lot in our small town have. My son works at the grocery store and he got sent home early when the power went out again there. Walmart has been closed all day because of no power and there is only one gas station open with long lines all day. Glad I watched the forecast and we all filled up prior to the storm. Rolling blackouts all over Texas I am reading. Did get the walk at my house clear with a shovel and a broom, very dry snow and at Cathy's office. The sun helped dry the concrete so at least we won't have black ice on the walks at least. Another snow storm coming in this afternoon but a bit warmer temps. Won't be above freezing till Friday. That is when the fun starts. I use to manage the plumbing department of a large home improvement chain, when that stuff starts thawing it will be a huge mess. Good news is I pushed the Cub out and looked a beautiful winter wonder land, no gravel bars but it was fun.
    150846600_785716965627959_3482832498963844944_n.jpg

PXL_20210215_193009884.jpg

My playground.
    PXL_20210215_191428131.jpg

PXL_20210215_193117498.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

glad you are making the most of it Steve, but hope it's over soon for everyone else I know in TX...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!
    that almost looks like it could be Michigan. We got 6 inches, and I’ve blown out the block, now off to the hanger. Might get her out tomorrow, brian

Post Thanks / Like

You need to slap some skis on that baby Steve....and go have some fun!
    I’m sure they’re not many folks that can say they used a ski plane in Texas.....LOL

Post Thanks / Like

All of us pilots up here in Alaska are not laughing at you, we are laughing with you. Takes my two hours behind a big snow blower to clear our place, phone says I walk 2.1 miles. Fun times for sure! Had a guy leave a door open last month to one of our cabins at -20f, only one AMU and three day’s of plumbing; thank the PEX.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh Florida. It was a brisk 75 mid-day today and is getting down to a chilly 65 at night. So you know, I have a brother in AK who is fine with his 10 to 20 now, and blown away at hearing about TX temps. Wishing you all the best in TX. GET those Greenies out of your legislature. TX has more Nat gas than anyone and nobody in TX should be freezing due to friggin frozen windfarms. Ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Cold in Texas?

When they went OFF the National electrical grid so they wouldn’t have to pay Federal taxes no one told them they also couldn’t import electricity from out of state and their gas furnaces have to have electricity to run and oh by the way, contrary to popular belief the wind doesn’t always blow in Texas. They just witnessed the perfect storm.

Subsonic, 5f here in Memphis and snow everywhere. We do have electricity. You got room for me, my wife and 3 cats until spring?
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 02-16-2021 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post

Subsonic, 5f here in Memphis and snow everywhere. We do have electricity. You got room for me, my wife and 3 cats until spring?
    He told me today he should have gone to Florida a few months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the generator out and ready today because of those Texas wind turbines. We were being threatened with rolling blackouts because the turbines were not generating power.

We don’t see much powdered snow around here. I moved it this morning with a leaf blower. It worked pretty good. I moved enough snow my better half could get out with her car. She got stuck yesterday and I had to leave a fire to get her to work on time. Good thing plenty of help showed up to fight that fire or she would have had to miss work. The tractor wouldn’t start yesterday or I would have had the yard cleaned up long before she left for work. I got it started this afternoon after covering the engine with blankets and a few hours of my airplane heater blowing on it so I got enough snow removed to make room for what is falling now. I parked that leaky piece of garbage in my shop so it would be easier to preheat tomorrow.

It was a beautiful day here. Started out at -8, clear and no wind. Warmed up into the low teens. I would have flown the L4 but there is a good sized drift in front of the hangar and another across the taxiway. The city isn’t likely to plow any snow at the airport. My electric shop heat couldn’t keep up so I shut it off a couple of days ago. I tried to use my portable propane heater but it refused to stay lit unless I held the primer button. I gave up on it after about five minutes. Water to the shop is frozen. My guess is the line froze where I caught it with the box blade a couple of years ago. It’s only a couple of inches down in that spot (code is around 20 inches) . I should have rented a trenching machine the day I hit it but had too many other things happening at the time. No problems with the house but I fixed the cold weather discrepancies I knew of there long ago. There are colder places to be sure. My parents spent the last week here hiding from the below -20 in Nebraska. My first Alaskan Thanksgiving was -45. I had to go out and start my Bronco a few times during the evening because there wasn’t anywhere to plug it in. Life is an adventure!!!
    Last edited by Jeff J; 02-16-2021 at 09:57 PM.