Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inboard flaps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inboard flaps

Is the leading edge cuff stc the only way to achieve the flaps coming all the way to the fuselage? Would the extra couple inches inboard alone be worth the work to do if there is a way to do it legally?

of course I want to build them out further when I square off the wings but... so maybe I should work to get that extra bit out of the inboard section?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Inboard flaps

Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    Is the leading edge cuff stc the only way to achieve the flaps coming all the way to the fuselage? Would the extra couple inches inboard alone be worth the work to do if there is a way to do it legally?

of course I want to build them out further when I square off the wings but... so maybe I should work to get that extra bit out of the inboard section?
    I called XWinds about the inboard extension. Since I was not interested in the cuff, they said once you own the STC you can do the flap mod without doing the cuff. I added the inboard extension when I did the super Pacer stretched STC. I have 92 inches of flap. That made a difference. I instantly slow the plane down and have a very nice nose down attitude. While I would do the extension on a stock Pacer flap I don't know the effect. I can't remember what a stock Pacer flat length is. 52 inches" adding 4 inches maybe be significant.

Who's STC are you using for the wing tip mod?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I called XWinds about the inboard extension. Since I was not interested in the cuff, they said once you own the STC you can do the flap mod without doing the cuff. I added the inboard extension when I did the super Pacer stretched STC. I have 92 inches of flap. That made a difference. I instantly slow the plane down and have a very nice nose down attitude. While I would do the extension on a stock Pacer flap I don't know the effect. I can't remember what a stock Pacer flat length is. 52 inches" adding 4 inches maybe be significant.

Who's STC are you using for the wing tip mod?
    That is the way a lot of folks do it on Super Cubs as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I am doing the Stewart’s tip.

I’ll call about the crosswind kit. Will they sell the stc without the parts I wonder? And could/would the fence be helpful without the cuff but with vgs? I think I recall someone saying it didn’t slip well when the fence was added, and boy do I love a good slip.

Post Thanks / Like

I am doing the Stewart’s tip.

I’ll call about the crosswind kit. Will they sell the stc without the parts I wonder? And could/would the fence be helpful without the cuff but with vgs? I think I recall someone saying it didn’t slip well when the fence was added, and boy do I love a good slip.
    That's a good point about a fence. I agree, I like to be able to slip my plane. Post what you find out. I probably should buy the STC. It's just that I've got so many stcs on my plane and a pile of drawings for the stcs one would spend weeks to figure how one STC interchanges with another. When combining STC's, I usually can strengthen the plane beyond the original plane. My plane has been inspected by the FAA and multiple IA's, it always gets good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie is out of town until tomorrow. I’ll learn up a bit and see what happens.

all of this started from the idea of carbon fiber root fairings. Randy asked if I was moving my flaps inboard. Sure, why not, add another mod to the giant project! Maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve looked at this a couple times for my tripacer but thought the angle of the fuselage where the full flap would intersect is poroblamic. That being said the amount of air bypassed could be significant although that air might be needed for rudder effectiveness at slow speed high angle of attack situations. Lots going on back there.

I think a molded cuff that slips on latterly say out of some sexy carbon fiber, lock the flaps at a full 40 and slide cuf inboard until it contacts fuselage and cherry rivet in place. Might need a rub plate or an extra layer of fabric in the fuse attached in such a way as to not have an edg to catch...

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

CF is good for some things but not others flat plates will vibrate and blow out holes faster then you cans say, what was that? Also, get out the scale, if the CF is not saving you 25% then itís not worth it. I did a lot of advanced composets in another life. Started with all molded carbon model airplanes and finished developing repairs for that 37/777. Cool stuff but not fun to work with, the good resins are deadly and sanding trimming fitting is um... itchy.

sure is easy and fast to lay up a one off with polyester resin though. Make first part out of glass then make the carbon one once you get an idea what you want.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

The root fairings save a little over one pound I am told. For the cost, could be worth it.

I just spoke to a buddy that is well versed in the pacer and this is what he had to say about moving the flaps inboard on a factory length pacer fuselage.

“DO NOT close the gap. Causes a big air burble over the horizontal and elevator and again you have no attachment of air and therefore you have no control. Your tail feathers go into a huge death wobble shaking flutter. Been proven time and again. LEAVE the gap as it is. Piper engineers did a perfect job on this one bro.”

Post Thanks / Like

The root fairings save a little over one pound I am told. For the cost, could be worth it.

I just spoke to a buddy that is well versed in the pacer and this is what he had to say about moving the flaps inboard on a factory length pacer fuselage.

“DO NOT close the gap. Causes a big air burble over the horizontal and elevator and again you have no attachment of air and therefore you have no control. Your tail feathers go into a huge death wobble shaking flutter. Been proven time and again. LEAVE the gap as it is. Piper engineers did a perfect job on this one bro.”
    Wow! I've not noticed any problems closing the gap inboard with my flaps. I do full flap hard slips, all types of stalls. I've never had death wobble shaking flutter. Piper engineering was good but, far from perfect.