Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for seat slide assembly bits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for seat slide assembly bits

Hello,
    I have a parts catalogue, and I know what parts I need. Univair no joy. Am I now on a scrounge? Or is there a good source for odd parts like that (pin, spring, clip) on the slide control.

Seat doesn't stay pinned as securely as I'd like. Spring is missing, pin is worn out.

Thanks
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for seat slide assembly bits

Call Univair, give them the part number for the pin and the spring. I had a pin that would release the right seat. I tried owner manufactured, but it broke at the hole for the cotter pin. Finally I called Univair and they sent me a new one... That’s my experience from a year ago.

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind_Fan View Post
    Call Univair, give them the part number for the pin and the spring. I had a pin that would release the right seat. I tried owner manufactured, but it broke at the hole for the cotter pin. Finally I called Univair and they sent me a new one... That’s my experience from a year ago.

-Alana
    I remember your posts. Here is that thread with good pictures and a video as well if Univair can't help and you have to make a pin. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...-removal/page9
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 04-20-2021 at 06:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for seat slide assembly bits

Univair has it, but be careful, there are 2 pieces to that pin, the larger diameter bullet is one piece, and has an internal thread. The smaller diameter section with the cross hole is another piece and threads into the bullet piece. You will think they are made of gold when you see the Univair price. Anyone with a lathe should be able to make it for you.

12653-02 rod for bench seat
    12653-04 rod for split seat

12032-00 plunger for bench seat
    12032-02 plunger for split seat

487 304 spring for bench seat
    83302-35 spring for split seat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dgapilot; 02-18-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Univair has it, but be careful, there are 2 pieces to that pin, the larger diameter bullet is one piece, and has an internal thread. The smaller diameter section with the cross hole is another piece and threads into the bullet piece. You will think they are made of gold when you see the Univair price. Anyone with a lathe should be able to make it for you.

12653-02 rod for bench seat
    12653-04 rod for split seat

12032-00 plunger for bench seat
    12032-02 plunger for split seat

487 304 spring for bench seat
    83302-35 spring for split seat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Its a regular AN-3 bolt, (AN3-14 to be precise) but the parts catalog shows it as one piece. I had this discussion with my A&P, I ordered the official part number and needed a bolt not showing in the parts diagram, my A&P just shook his head. That’s what we have with owing an aircraft that’s this old.

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind_Fan View Post
    Its a regular AN-3 bolt, (AN3-14 to be precise) but the parts catalog shows it as one piece. I had this discussion with my A&P, I ordered the official part number and needed a bolt not showing in the parts diagram, my A&P just shook his head. That’s what we have with owing an aircraft that’s this old.

-Alana
    The parts catalog really does show it correctly. Figure 12, items 10 and 12 in the TriPacer parts manual, and Figure 11 items 10 and 12 in the PA-20 parts manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spring for seat adjuster assembly

Seat won't hold on slide. Inspection reveals it's missing the spring (part 11 in attached screen shot). No find at Univair, the google, etc. Any ideas for a source?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spring for seat adjuster assembly

Aviation isle at just about any good hardware store.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spring for seat adjuster assembly

Measure the ID of the tube it runs in, then measure the OD of the pin. That will give you the maximum OD and minimum ID of the spring. Subtract the ID from the OD and divide by 2, that gives you the maximum wire diameter. Now measure the depth of the tube to the bottom of the cavity, and the length of the plunger. Subtract the plunger length from the cavity and that gives the maximum compressed length of the spring. Now go to the Century Spring web page and look up your spring by wire size (go to the next smaller wire size that is a standard), OD, and Solid Length. That gets you the Century Spring that most closely matches your needs. Use that at the local hardware store to then find what is available locally, or order one on line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pictures and video in this thread that might help find an off the shelf spring.
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...-removal/page9