Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a digital tach

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts on a digital tach

Specifically for off airport operations, would you upgrade from the analog to digital world?

I am use to using my peripheral vision to see where the needle is pointing on my tach. But the digital tachs have some bells and whistles that might be nice, and it would be a bit of weight savings. Plus a friend has one for cheap. Any thoughts one way or the other? Easy to get use to?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thoughts on a digital tach

I'm a HUGE fan of the Electronics International (EI) digital tach. Accurate to 10 RPM. Really handy to see any changes in mag performance during run-up mag checks, and for monitoring inflight mixture leaning as it correlates to EGT. I use the EI UBG-16 for that, too. I think those two gauges did more for me in assessing in flight engine performance than any other mod. Steve and Gilbert pointed me to both instruments and I couldn't be happier with their recommendations. Those two gauges make you smarter about what your engine is really doing at any time.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my digital tach for a few years. I like it because it is more precise, lighter and there is no cable to wear out. Plus, it's easier to plumb wires through the firewall. But, it requires some getting used to. Mag check takes a few seconds longer for the rpm to react. I've also had to send it in for work when the rpm were reading incorrectly. I check the tack during takeoff. But, my old mechanical tack had problems through the years also. On balance I'm happy with the digital tach.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Digital all the way. I have a trutach optical that you can use in any plane and put it on the dash right in front of you. The EDM digital and the trutach are within an few RPM of each other. The Mechanical tach is way out to lunch on the RPM and reads high.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I that disappointed me about switching to digital was losing tach time. Digital tach time works more like a Hobbs meter.

Post Thanks / Like

Tach time on my EI R1 is elapsed time. It keeps a running total of the time the engine is above 1300 rpm.
    The flight timer starts 10 seconds after the RPM 2000 and stops counting 10 seconds after the RPM drops below 1200.
    ForeFlight gives me block time.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 02-21-2021 at 08:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I didn’t expect to have a unanimous yes on it. Do any of you miss not having a physical needle to see?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    Wow. I didn’t expect to have a unanimous yes on it. Do any of you miss not having a physical needle to see?
    No because the needle reading was usually undeterminable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    The only thing I that disappointed me about switching to digital was losing tach time. Digital tach time works more like a Hobbs meter.
    I was able to have the manufacturer set any time I wanted. I chose since major OH. I should have set it at total time on the airframe. But.....all is approximate.
    Last edited by Stephen; 02-22-2021 at 12:00 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Super Cub still has a standard tach but I fly lots of stuff with digital tachs and have no issue going back and forth. Digital is way more accurate for sure.