Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on a digital tach

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thoughts on a digital tach

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I was able to have the manufacturer set any time I wanted. I chose since major OH. I should have set it at total time on the airframe. But.....all is approximate.
    Total or overhaul time isn’t what concerned me. Less convenient than having a tach that reads total time but simple math takes care of that. I used to work for a man who wanted overhaul time on his tachs. It’s the way the time is counted I don’t like. I set the digital tach to start counting time at 1100 rpm to approximate tach time. I don’t use the flight time function built into it because I use a portable GPS in that airplane. I may have to look into using the digital tach for flight time since Garmin doesn’t service the Aera 510 anymore and mine is acting up a little.

Anyway, I don’t miss the needle and would not replace a digital tach with an analog tach.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thoughts on a digital tach

Lots of great info in this thread! One of the "positives" I see with most any modern equipment is the weight savings, I'm of a "vintage age" but like all the new avionics...Tens of pounds replace by ounces is a good thing! I read in another post someone mentioned that they never got out of a plane and commented that it needed "less" power. I'm that way about weight...I never approach my plane with the thought of how to make it weigh more...