Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LED landing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default LED landing lights

Just wondering what LED landing lights you guys are using? I have no idea what's involved with adding LED landing lights and I am hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. Can you use the existing landing light assembly and just replace the bulbs or is it better to replace the old landing light assembly with a new kit? Are there even kits available for LED's? I am interested in the strobe feature I have seen on some aircraft.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: LED landing lights

Google "LED Landing light site:shortwingpipers.org" and you'll find several good threads. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...-Landing-Light

Post Thanks / Like

Two options that I have heard have good results in performance, brightness, longevity and reduced electrical load are these:

Regular Output:
    https://www.larsenlights.com/par-36s...-light-20-spot
    1450 lumen, Current: 1.05A @ 12V, Power: ~15 watt (assuming ~13.4V)
    $27

High Output:
    https://www.larsenlights.com/high-ou...r-36-spot-beam
    1700 lumen, Current: 1.8A @ 12V, Power: ~25W (assuming ~13.4V)
    $34

In a Tri-Pacer and Pacer, the consensus among those I spoke with was two spots was preferred over flood for landing, spot for taxiing.
    The flood was less effective at illuminating the runway on final approach and flare (LL switch to "Both".)

GG

PS:
    While you have most of the lamp mounting stuff out, remove all the parts, clean & paint flat black if needed, and reassemble the aft mounts (where the lamp will mount) with the screws pre-installed from the back, and short nylok nuts or nuts with Loctite, good and tight.
    Now the threaded end is facing forward! Easy to install the lamp, front plate and nylok nuts up front using a nut driver. Far less colorful language involved.
    Or, if you have appropriate skills, hardware, and tools, you could install nutplates on the rear of the fixed mounts.
    Of course, with LED lamps you might not have to replace a lamp for ten or twenty years...
    Last edited by Glen Geller; 02-22-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Glen

I might be misinterpreting "two spots was preferred over flood for landing, spot for taxiing."
    then
    "
    flood was less effective at illuminating the runway on final approach and flare "

So does that mean go with two spots but would use both spots selected on for landing and taxi or just landing?
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    Glen

I might be misinterpreting "two spots was preferred over flood for landing, spot for taxiing."
    then
    "
    flood was less effective at illuminating the runway on final approach and flare "

So does that mean go with two spots but would use both spots selected on for landing and taxi or just landing?

I have a spot and flood in each wing. Spot for landing and flood for taxi, but I wired them to run all at once with the twist of the knob, or alternate left and right wig wag for visibility in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like LED landing lights in the Tripacer. They are like laser beams and will light the far end of a 4500' runway, but not the sides. I was hit by a deer on landing because he ran across the runway under the focused beam of light and I had no idea what hit the plane. Yes, they are brighter and use less current, but if they do not illuminate the runway they are useless at night. But to answer your question, they are a drop in replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post
    I don't like LED landing lights in the Tripacer. They are like laser beams and will light the far end of a 4500' runway, but not the sides. I was hit by a deer on landing because he ran across the runway under the focused beam of light and I had no idea what hit the plane. Yes, they are brighter and use less current, but if they do not illuminate the runway they are useless at night. But to answer your question, they are a drop in replacement.
    You can get various light patterns and a combo of flood and spot make for a seriously good landing light system. Way better than the old standard bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like

so from above, almost sounds like with both the spot and flood lit up for landing, that should be pretty good for approach and landing??
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I have one spot and one flood. There is just not a large enough envelope of light for flying at night with only the lights in the left wing. The standard lights aren't as bright, and I cannot see the other end of the runway, but I can see the sides of the runway!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the light manufacture and how the lense is designed. I get good illumination on the sides from the flood.