Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LED landing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LED landing lights

Larsen lights also makes a “trapezoid” par 36. Both standard and high output. Spot is 20° trapezoid is 40° and flood is 60°

I plan to add a second landing light to my other wing. Will run a spot and a trap on each side. Pirep later. Prob next year. Thanks to summer sun in Alaska.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed two regular output spotlights from Larson in the taxi and landing positions. Its gotta be better than th 4509's that ive had to replace 3 times now within about a year. They are only rated for 25hrs. The leds will probably never need changing. I like the idea of a light on the other wing too. Maybe a project for the fall?

Post Thanks / Like

I was pleasantly surprised at the cost of the cost of plexiglass cover and trim pieces from univair. I bought the housing used for $250. Worth it for the recognition and ability to see when I’m coming home or to camp a bit later than I should
    Last edited by Spdcrazy; 02-23-2021 at 01:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've installed two of these, one on two different Piper aircraft. Although, it's possible it was an earlier version of this bulb. https://www.aero-lites.com/product-p...-landing-light

It's rated at 3,200 lumens vs. a GE4509 at 1,500 lumens. In my experience with LED's on various equipment (airplanes, tractors, cars, sprayers, etc.), It takes more rated "lumens" from an LED to have an equal illumination at distance. LED's are great especially for see-and-avoid because they look bright, but it takes the proper focus to put that light where it needs to be. I'd call the Aero-LED equivalent to maybe slightly better than the GE bulb. I would not consider installing a 1,700 lumen $34 LED on a Tri-Pacer and expect the same results as a 4509, but perhaps some of those ratings are not the whole story? Then again, I also can't see spending hundreds for a Whelen LED. Glen, have you used those from Larsen and had good luck? I have a pair from Larsen in blue on a sprayer boom and it barely lights up the end of a 90' boom (about 40' from the bulb to the tip). That one is supposedly 2,160 lumens.

Post Thanks / Like

" It takes more rated "lumens" from an LED to have an equal illumination at distance. LED's are great especially for see-and-avoid because they look bright"

Agree with Zac 100% on this, I find it frustrating at night on the road facing automobiles with the new LED headlights. They are so much brighter to look
    at that I think the other driver still has his bright light on, when I flash my lights at him, he flashes his and he actually did have his dims on. I know part of the
    problem are my "elderly eyes" but I think it is a problem on the road for vehicles.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I have led (I think whelen) landing and taxi lights in both wings, so two each. I can turn all four on at once and itll light up a field on short final enough to count the petals on the daisies in your touchdown zone. I have them so they can wigwag, helps tremendously with being seen in the pattern.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered my Aero Lites G2 from Amazon. Since it was my taxi bulb that went out I got the 45* pattern bulb. I’ve been happy with it, and it’s way brighter than the still incandescent spot beam landing light. It easily replaces the old bulb, same form, fit, and improved function.

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    I have led (I think whelen) landing and taxi lights in both wings, so two each. I can turn all four on at once and itll light up a field on short final enough to count the petals on the daisies in your touchdown zone. I have them so they can wigwag, helps tremendously with being seen in the pattern.
    Is the light in both wings with wigwag a field approval thing, experimental, somebodys STC, or??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Ryd View Post
    Is the light in both wings with wigwag a field approval thing, experimental, somebodys STC, or??
    I do it as a logbook entry duplicating in the right what is on the left. Rebuilding a Super Cub for a friend in the Tulsa area that wants to be seen. Also using the Max Pulse landing light controller which is STC'd. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=28439

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Ryd View Post
    What steve said, word for word. I referenced the drawing numbers for the lights.