Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Wing tank needed

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wing tank needed

I am in Florida and looking for a Tripacer right wing tank. I also have a PA18 right wing tank that I would sell if I can find the Tripacer tank. Or swap even. Also need a Tripacer wing tank cover. Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wing tank needed

Larry, I sent PM .
    moe

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Larry, sorry - I just checked and my spare is a left tank and cover.��
    I wish I could have helped.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got walloped by that one. There is a left and right cover? When I tore mine down one of my covers was marked left or right, I cannot remember but I do remember it was not on the side they marked. When I put everything back together I swapped the covers twice trying to figure out the difference. I painted over their markings figuring if there was a right or left it would be obvious. But no. All the screw holes lined up both sides. Mmm? One cover did seem to center the fuel cap a little better than the other but not much.
    The tank cover could be the easiest part to make yourself. So that's good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will see what I have.

As far as making fuel tank covers, how do you form and attach the ribs?

Post Thanks / Like

Dakota Cub has the fuel tank cover ribs, and the rivets to attach them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I built a jig to hold the sheet metal so that the metal was formed same as the top of the ribs
    and the Dakota cub fuel tank cover ribs could be drilled to the cover. Will look this morning
    to see if it is still around and post a pic

If you have a spare rib, it is easy to layout the wood form for cutting.
    I did not so used poster board to establish the curvature of the top of the wing between the spars.

Here are pics of the jig I made. I think I made the distance between the tank rib forms such that I was drilling the holes just outside the forms.
    I thought this provided enough to support the aluminum from the drill bit. I used the tank cover drwg for spacing of the holes and laid out lines and hash marks on the aluminum to drill the holes. I used a brake to bend the edges per dwg before drilling.

To hold the aluminum against the forms I used several sand bags to hold the aluminum. I cant recall if the dakota tank ribs were pre-drilled. If are you can use the rib to layout the hole spacing. I started drilling the holes from the middle and working toward the edges and celeco each hole after drilling.

Dakota cub also has the re-inforcment ring for the tank filler hole. I calculated where the hole should be based on measurements of the old covers. That did not work out well as Brian wished I had not cut that hole till he mounted the tank securely.
    At that point you can put the position the cover on the wing with the mounting holes lined up and cut the hole centered on the filler port.

It was not a difficult job, just took a lot of time to lay out, drill and dimple the rivet holes and get some help when its time to buck rivets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andya; 03-11-2021 at 12:15 PM.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Good work Andya.
    I spoke too soon. I was lucky enough to not have the need to produce my own covers and breezed right by without having to study them. Of course I recalled the paint scraper hitting the brace but after everything was said n done I assumed the covers were bent to a close fit and the screws held them down into their final shape.
    Always an optimist. I always say, yep no problem be done in a jif. Nothing ever stood in my way of getting things done but its really never as easy as it looks, ha.

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Good work Andya.
    I spoke too soon. I was lucky enough to not have the need to produce my own covers and breezed right by without having to study them. Of course I recalled the paint scraper hitting the brace but after everything was said n done I assumed the covers were bent to a close fit and the screws held them down into their final shape.
    Always an optimist. I always say, yep no problem be done in a jif. Nothing ever stood in my way of getting things done but its really never as easy as it looks, ha.
    Thank you to everone for the help and suggestions. I have located everything I need, so far. Will probably be back before this project is done. Larry