Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hudson River flight at night

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hudson River flight at night

I have flown the Hudson river many times, but only once at night. I took the opportunity on March 8th, when the weather was nice, to fly the corridor once more at night, and this time, I had my cameras (a total of three for most of the time) rolling. Here is the link to my YouTube video.
    If you have never flown the Hudson river right by Manhattan, you really should. Doing it at night just adds to the awesome experience. I also have the footage towards the end of the video when I obtained flight following out of the busy New York airspace. Those controllers are really busy and very professional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDxHlSsYCQ4

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hudson River flight at night

Very interesting Juergen, I always enjoy your videos keep up the good work.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in NY, flying the corridor was an almost weekly occurrence, and when the Towers were still there, looking up at them as you flew northbound on the Manhattan side of the river was a sight to behold. There are some thing I really miss about living in NY, others, not so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

REALLY enjoyed your flight!! Thanks so much for posting. It was beautiful!
    No guts for me doing that live but I enjoyed the trip with you.
    Flying into OSH seems easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Great video Juergen! I find it quite amazing how many tall buildings are just to the north of downtown....it just goes on forever.
    I spent many hours flying commercially over the black hole environment, and you are correct that it’s very challenging to fly those conditions... even under severe VFR conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfgoe View Post
    I spent many hours flying commercially over the black hole environment, and you are correct that it’s very challenging to fly those conditions... even under severe VFR conditions.
    Trying to imagine what you're talking about... yes I do know what a real black hole is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Trying to imagine what you're talking about... yes I do know what a real black hole is.
    I’m referring to flying over terrain that has no lights on the ground at all...not one. It’s extremely difficult to determine the horizon line, especially when there isn’t light supplied by the moon. I did all this flying in the high arctic where communities are very small (200-500 people) and are hundreds of miles apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfgoe View Post
    I’m referring to flying over terrain that has no lights on the ground at all...not one. It’s extremely difficult to determine the horizon line, especially when there isn’t light supplied by the moon. I did all this flying in the high arctic where communities are very small (200-500 people) and are hundreds of miles apart.
    Wow. I get it. Thanks for the explanation.