Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Narrow Gear Upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Default Narrow Gear Upgrade

Hey guys,

I’m sure this question has been asked in the past but I’m going to dredge it up anyway because I haven’t seen any solid information on this. What would be the easiest way to upgrade a 1950 PA-20 with the original gear to a more heavy duty option? Ive looked into the PA-18 trimmer STC and the Univair STC and both of those appear to be for PA-22 to PA-20 conversions. Is it even possible to get away with installing a heavy duty gear without welding directly to the frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Narrow Gear Upgrade

There is a thread on this, but as I recall Univair gear, which will fit existing fittings. Replace Hydrosrbs, tail spring. Also may be different size axles so your wheels may not work.
    Last edited by Mark Seibert; 03-18-2021 at 07:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrett5991 View Post
    Hey guys,

I’m sure this question has been asked in the past but I’m going to dredge it up anyway because I haven’t seen any solid information on this. What would be the easiest way to upgrade a 1950 PA-20 with the original gear to a more heavy duty option? Ive looked into the PA-18 trimmer STC and the Univair STC and both of those appear to be for PA-22 to PA-20 conversions. Is it even possible to get away with installing a heavy duty gear without welding directly to the frame?
    Trimmer gear stc takes some major welding. There is a lot of tubing to replace and you need all new brackets. You will have stronger gear which is useful if you plan significant off airport landings.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What do you want as far as heavy duty gear. The Univair wide gear is really no heavier duty than you stock gear just wider. Univair has approved replacement gear for the PA20.
    https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...ing-gear-left/
    https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...ng-gear-right/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    What do you want as far as heavy duty gear. The Univair wide gear is really no heavier duty than you stock gear just wider. Univair has approved replacement gear for the PA20.
    https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...ing-gear-left/
    https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...ng-gear-right/
    To clarify a bit more, I’m mainly trying to run a larger tire to get me into some of Utah’s unimproved runways. Examples of which include mineral canyon. With that being said I know that I don't need bush wheels or anything crazy like that. From here we dive down the rabbit hole of upgrading to Cleveland double puck brakes and increasing the size of the axle which inevitably may lead to a full gear change. The majority of tire STC’s I've read use verbiage along the lines of “Heavy duty landing gear required” etc.

I’d love to run 8.50’s but, I’m not sure the original gear would be ideal for that size tire. I may just pull the wheel pants off and work my way down gradually in runways with worse and worse conditions to see whats comfortable and whats not.

Either way, I appreciate the additional information. I’ll use it and eventually come to a decision one way or another. I’m strongly leaning towards upgrading brakes, installing the univair gear, and throwing some bigger wheels and tires on. It may be expensive but it will give me some additional piece of mind on dirt.
    Last edited by barrett5991; 03-19-2021 at 09:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seibert View Post
    There is a thread on this, but as I recall Univair gear, which will fit existing fittings. Replace Hydrosrbs, tail spring. Also may be different size axles so your wheels may not work.
    Someone down below also referenced that for me. If its mostly bolt on with the replacement of a few additional components then I will strongly consider going that route. It’s times like these that make me wish I had my IA. Will come back and update this thread if this is the route I go. May even make an instructional video for future people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1.25" axles are fine and 800 or 8.50 will work. Install Cleveland's or Alaskan Bushwheels wheels and brakes under Eddie Trimmer's STC for better brake disc clearance than Univair.

Post Thanks / Like

I flew into some of the Utah strips (Mexican Mountain, Hidden Splendor, etc.) on 8.50x6 22” Desser smooth tires with no problems. Your regular gear will be fine.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I have narrow gear. Ran 26” ABW’s for 5 years. No problems.