Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Spearfish Poker Run/monuments tour documents

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spearfish Poker Run/monuments tour documents

Does anyone happen to have hung on to the information from the poker run at the SWPC convention where we flew around the Crazy Horse and Rushmore monuments? I’m going to be passing close by there and would like to make a scenic pass there on the way through if I have clear weather at the time. I don’t remember the details about the flight as far as precautionary areas and minimum altitudes,etc. aside from what is on the sectional. It seems like we had a map handed out of the recommended route to fly and some other pertinents that aren’t on the sectional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spearfish Poker Run/monuments tour documents

We did this last year at the Black hills Fly-in! The National Park Service says 2000' above and 1/2 mile away. Here's a link to the map we used (not a sectional) http://npmaps.com/wp-content/uploads...gional-map.jpg. Out of Hot Springs we went over Crazy Horse first, then to Mt Rushmore. We were planning to head to Devils tower, but the wind picked up. If your flying the area, you need to stop in Custer State Park landing strip (3V0). Neat little strip in the middle of the park. Beautiful. You can tie down and call the park office. They'll swing by in a jeep and give you a ride to the restaurant or a tour. Afterwards you can get a ride back! Of course if you coming from the East, Fly over the Badlands. Cool stuff.
    I was impressed. So much so that we bought property up there to build on and retire.