Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving Aileron 24" Outboard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Moving Aileron 24" Outboard

I talked with Eddie Trimmer a few days ago. He said he was meeting soon with his engineer on this STC. Maybe it will happen.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the PA18 and the PA22 wing that the rear spar on the 18 can handle longer flaps than the 22 can? Are the mods to make the flaps longer and to move the ailerons out basically just making it like an 18 wing, or are they something new and different? Also, I've noticed that Eddie's STC allows for extra tanks. Is that possible because of the mods, or just something that folks wanted anyway, so he attached it to his aileron STC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The construction and parts are pretty much identical between a PA18 and a Pacer wing except the PA18 has an extra bay, jury struts and a 1750 lb gross weight. The later Tri-Pacer wing has a 2000 lb gross weight but also has a bulbed stiffener above the lift strut fittings. There is an STC to up the PA18 gross weight to 2000 lbs by adding a doubler over the top of the rear spar and a doubler inside the aft rear strut attach fitting. Aviat did a similar doubler over the rear spar at the strut attach fitting on the Husky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    I know the struggles to get the STC etc, but I also know there are a lot of planes out there flying with 337s, big flaps and ailerons moved outboard.
    With those N numbers the original poster could obtain those 337s from the FAA.