Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idaho in October?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Idaho in October?

I'm planning my annual trip out West. I want to fly the Idaho backcountry. I will stay at Johnson Creek and then do daily trips in the area. The High Sierra Fly-in at the Dead Cow lakebed is scheduled for the middle of October. I'm thinking about spending a week in Idaho and then flying down to the Dead Cow lake bed in Nevada before starting my trip back to Virginia.
    How will the weather (most likely) be in Idaho the beginning to the middle of October? How cold does it get there at that time of the year? Do they already get snow there? Idaho is my first priority, but it would be great to combine it with the High Sierra fly-in.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Idaho in October?

There is a webcam at Johnson Creek, and there USED TO be several websites that shared it.
    This one is still active but has limited info.
    http://www.ruralnetwork.net/~yellowpinecm/

This one has time lapse but only quarterly, so you never see "October".
    https://webcams.windy.com/webcams/pu...?token=see.cam
    View on a real computer in full screen mode, there is a time stamp in upper right corner.

Early October is probably doable but be sure you do a very thorough weather briefing, so you don't wake up one morning covered in snow.

JC is great, very fun, an exciting flight and a beautiful strip.
    Be sure to visit the hot spring bathtub up the hill to the west, it worth the hike.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Glen, most of the November time laps showed snow on the ground. Maybe going in September is a safer option. I just can't make the Dead Cow lakebed then. On the other hand, I could visit Montana on the way. I have never been there.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have only been to JC in June and it can be in the low 30s quite a bit at night. We are shooting for father's Day weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the caretakers drain the lines and close up at JC around the end of September.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have only been to JC in June and it can be in the low 30s quite a bit at night. We are shooting for father's Day weekend.
    That is my goal too.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akt View Post
    I think the caretakers drain the lines and close up at JC around the end of September.
    That is good to know. I’ll move my schedule to end of August/early September. Unfortunately, no High Sierra fly in for me this year.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Juergen, the September and October weather can be some of the nicest flying of the year. The nights at the Idaho backcountry airstrips will be below freezing, unless you go to some of the lowers strips like Moose Creek,Shearer. October can bring snow, so look ahead. The caretakers at the state run strips will be gone but the strips are still available, the operators of the Flying B and Root Ranch are there for hunters. No camping at those places but they do rent cabins. Big Creek also stays open later for hunters. You can make it work with a little planning and have a very pleasant time.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, that is also a good thought. I am very flexible as far as my schedule. The only thing is the registration fee for the High Sierra fly-in. I like camping, but not when it gets down to freezing. As you suggested, I can rent a cabin at Flying B or Root Ranch. Another option would be a hotel at McCall.

Thanks for the advise, I have never been to Idaho.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I'm planning my annual trip out West. I want to fly the Idaho backcountry. I will stay at Johnson Creek and then do daily trips in the area. The High Sierra Fly-in at the Dead Cow lakebed is scheduled for the middle of October. I'm thinking about spending a week in Idaho and then flying down to the Dead Cow lake bed in Nevada before starting my trip back to Virginia.
    How will the weather (most likely) be in Idaho the beginning to the middle of October? How cold does it get there at that time of the year? Do they already get snow there? Idaho is my first priority, but it would be great to combine it with the High Sierra fly-in.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    I lived my whole life in the west. It WILL BE HIGHLY variable during that time. Anywhere from Indian Summer to Arctic Freeze. Just go with the forecasts a few days out and HEED them. I will probably try to join you this year. Don't fly if its looking ugly, trust me, unless you're good with setting down in strange places in a moment. Very few can do that.