Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: OAT Probe

Post Thanks / Like

Default OAT Probe

Hello everyone.
    I was looking at installing the Uavionix AV-30 to replace my AI. The question I have is about installing an outside air temp probe to connect to the instrument. The manufacturer suggests 2 feet out from the wing root on the bottom of the wing. I'm not sure about that on a fabric wing. Would installing on the belly of the plane on the pilot's side work or should I look for a different location? Does anyone have a remote probe installed? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OAT Probe

Will be interested to see others thoughts, as I am considering installing that as well.

My thought would be to still put it under wing in the wing to fuse cover. Maybe a minor impact, but it would seem that following air flow through the cowl, that on the belly would be influenced by engine heat. How much? Don’t know. But more so than underwing even if close to fuselage inside the “2 feet” recommendation.

My $.02
    Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Looking into the same issue. Did not run across the "2 feet" from the wing root.
    present old style probe/gage is in my vent window so was thinking about the
    wing root fairing under the wing.

On the belly it might likely be effected by engine and or exhaust heat.
    Should be shaded to keep the sun off it.

This should be an interesting thread
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I put mine on the boot cowl... exactly where the instructions said not to put it. And guess what? It doesn't work while flying. It's good at telling me the temp in the hangar though. (It's just an extra, I still have my stock OAT.)

Post Thanks / Like

Glue a small aluminum plate to the fabric on the bottom of the wing to attach the probe. I would do it the more difficult way and cut a hole in the fabric, slide in an aluminum plate, glue it to the inside then put a new fabric patch on the outside. Tell us how you did it.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Engine heat was my concern on the belly as well. I also considered the wing root fairing location. That would certainly be the easiest location to install. I also considered the option of the plate on the wing. The wing is the most difficult, but most likely the best location. I will let you know where I end up putting it.
    Thanks for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I install the on the bottom of the aft edge of the leading sedge wing root fairing on the left wing. Seems to work fine on everything I have done it on, Pacer and Super Cubs. It has been for the OAT probe on the Electronics international gauges. Have a couple of AV30s to install but have not gotten there yet.