Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PA-16 Clipper ignition switch

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-16 Clipper ignition switch

What does everyone have for ignition switches in their Clippers?

Originally I think the Clippers came with an Army Air Forces (AAF) A7 magneto switch. When I bought my Clipper all I received with it was a hardware store copy of a key that went in the ACS Products ignition switch. This hardware store copy worked marginally well in the switch. It was really sloppy and turned kinda rough. So I sent the switch to ACS Products to get the correct key along with some extras. They told me that 26 of their keys worked in my switch. I guess that’s a bad thing. Just kidding, I know that’s not good. So they told me that they cannot repair it because they are not a repair station and that I would need to replace it. I also have read that this switch is not FAA TSO approved and would need a field approval to legally install. I do not any records (Form 337) or log book entry stating that this switch was ever installed or approved to be installed. The records for this plane are bit lacking in the details department.

So I guess my question is what is the best option to replace this. I’m not necessarily looking for the cheapest option either. Looking for pros and cons of the options you all have installed.

Here is what I see as my options.
    1. Install another A7 magneto switch (if I can find one).
    2. Install another ACS Products switch and file the proper paperwork.
    3. Install a Bendix ignition switch. This is FAA TSO approved. Can I just install this with just a log book entry or do I need a Field Approval?
    4. I know that you can replace the key switch with toggle switches. Can I just install this with just a log book entry or do I need a Field Approval?
    5. Any other options.

Thanks

Lucas
    N5821H
    PA-16 Clipper, S/N: 16-437

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-16 Clipper ignition switch

I install them quite often and the are FAA/PMA approved. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...igswitches.php

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I install them quite often and the are FAA/PMA approved. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...igswitches.php
    Steve,

My apologies. I guess I should have said that currently have the issue with an A-510-5 ignition switch without the start position. It is my understanding that the -5 is not FAA approved.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=3040760

Lucas

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas F View Post
    Steve,

My apologies. I guess I should have said that currently have the issue with an A-510-5 ignition switch without the start position. It is my understanding that the -5 is not FAA approved.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=3040760

Lucas
    I didn't realize one was and one wasn't. Something for the FAA to hang me for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I didn't realize one was and one wasn't. Something for the FAA to hang me for.
    Certainly not something I would stay awake for.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had the original one, but someone put one of these in mine https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...0-357290-1.php

400 new or 100 used. Works great, but wow 400 bucks.. guess I would have to go with the 100 dollar used one

Last edited by PA-16; 03-31-2021 at 11:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The toggle switch is a good idea, I had a plane that had a toggle for each mag, that is a simple way to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I envy those experimental guys who have the freedom to do different things and pay far less for a functional bit of hardware to do the job.
    If I had an experimental plane I would absolutely have these affordable ignition switches.
    Makes a real clean looking installation. duplex-light-switch-volts-north-america-american-duplex-electrical-light-switch-157618993.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I keep telling people, something like the ignition switch can likely be done as a minor alteration using FAA guidance in AC43-210A and AC 23-27. Using an ACS 5102 should be an easy log book entry for a minor alteration. Even toggle switches, just be sure the switches have a current capacity equal or greater than the wires for your P lead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    The toggle switch is a good idea, I had a plane that had a toggle for each mag, that is a simple way to do it.
    Electroair has a STC'd approved switch for regular magnetos.

You could also convert to a modern start solenoid and master solenoid using Svenn's lightweight battery/solenoid STC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 04-05-2021 at 01:05 PM.