Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PA-16 Clipper ignition switch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-16 Clipper ignition switch

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    Electroair has a STC'd approved switch for regular magnetos.

You could also convert to a modern start solenoid and master solenoid using Svenn's lightweight battery/solenoid STC
    I'm using the ACS switch with start position, master solenoid and start solenoid along with a complete new electrical system (EarthX Battery, B&C Alternator, Lightweight starter) on my PA-16 all with a Field Approval.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I'm using the ACS switch with start position, master solenoid and start solenoid along with a complete new electrical system (EarthX Battery, B&C Alternator, Lightweight starter) on my PA-16 all with a Field Approval.
    All rotary ignition switches, ACS, Gerdes, Bendix suffer from the same problem, they need to be lubed.

No lube and they tear and gall the plating on both of the contacts, fixed and the rotating pie shaped piece, which eventually falls down into the switch accumulating in quantities large enough to short out the contacts.

Installing the diode only prevents reverse current from arcing the built up contact sluff on just the start position. Lube is still required after the install of the diode.

Electroair has the two toggles, STC approved, no lube, no rotating switch contacts, similar pricing. If I had not already spent the cash on the Bendix that's what I would do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

All rotary switches, ACS, Gerdes, Bendix suffer from the same problem, they need to be lubed.

No lube and they tear and gall the plating on both of the contacts, fixed and the rotating pie shaped piece, which eventually falls down into the switch accumulating in quantities large enough to short out the contacts.

Installing the diode only prevents reverse current from arcing the built up contact sluff on just the start position. Lube is still required after the install of the diode.

Electroair has the two toggles, STC approved, no lube, no rotating switch contacts, similar pricing. If I had not already spent the cash on the Bendix that's what I would do.
    I can live with the AD on the ACS switch, inspect and lube every 2000 hours. I'll likely be dead by the time that's due. The airplane is 71 years old now and only has 1200 hours total time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Electroair has a STC'd approved switch for regular magnetos.

You could also convert to a modern start solenoid and master solenoid using Svenn's lightweight battery/solenoid STC
    That is a nice switch, I did an annual inspection on the AOPA Give Away Super Cub recently and it had that switch. I haven't had many issues with the Bendix, Gerdes or ACS switches but the Electroair switch panel would be a nice alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know if the toggle switches (like in a citabria) are a special or just a DPST? If I ever re-did my panel I think I'd like the toggle idea. I feel piper's security system of the starter button placement is enough of an anti theft device. Also if I'm tied down I lock the door anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I used the same model toggle switch used in the PA-30 and it doesn't look special to me?
    I did it on a field approval but not sure if that was necessary.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    I used the same model toggle switch used in the PA-30 and it doesn't look special to me?

I like the simple toggle switch like this 1963 Piper twin, thats how I would do it if my switch went bad, but I have the bendix that is only off left right and both, no start, start is the normal start button under the seat. My key mag switch still works fine, but when it goes bad I will just get toggle switches like this Piper Comanche has here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    I searched the TCM/Bendix ignition switch master manual and all I found was that toggle switches are acceptable on certain "dual engine" applications that incorporate a single start vibrator with a relay for both engines (i.e. most piper twins). The vibrator relay controls the function of grounding out the RH magneto upon actuation of the shared start button. This is assuming that the before start checklist requires both mag switches to be in the "on" position. Once the engine is started and the start button is released the switch function returns to its normal position of open, or not grounded out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All Piper Super Cubs have the two toggle switches after they ran out of AN rotary switches.

Post Thanks / Like

I searched the TCM/Bendix ignition switch master manual and all I found was that toggle switches are acceptable on certain "dual engine" applications that incorporate a single start vibrator with a relay for both engines (i.e. most piper twins). The vibrator relay controls the function of grounding out the RH magneto upon actuation of the shared start button. This is assuming that the before start checklist requires both mag switches to be in the "on" position. Once the engine is started and the start button is released the switch function returns to its normal position of open, or not grounded out.
    Does that rocker button stc 150000 with the start switch have its own circuit to turn the right mag off, or are you doing it yourself like the factory setup in the Clipper and turning the right mag on after start? It would be nice if they made one that looks like two plane toggle switches that looks more at home in a 1940s airplane, the plastic just looks odd or to new for my plane.

edit. Just read the description and it says to leave the left mag off during start, so its no different than using the two toggle switches like the twins use. Save about $250. using the toggle switches and also keep it looking more like a 1940s plane, and $250. gets about 10 hours of flying therapy in these crazy times of covid, could also get me a Lone Ranger eye mask to go with the covid mask
    Last edited by PA-16; 04-08-2021 at 04:00 AM.