Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beacon location?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Beacon location?

Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    My airplane is in pieces, but it was on the belly. I will likely be using Whalen goodies, so strobing tail and nav lights on Stewart’s wing tips. I do feel that is enough, but more wouldn’t hurt. Maybe just stick with the belly?

I did see a cub with it up too on the fuse, but it was symmetrical and didn’t look good in my opinion.
    I like the AeroLEDs Pulsar and Suntail. https://aeroleds.com/certified/ That is what I have been installing in my rebuilds. Whelen told me their tail strobe fit the same as their A500 and would fit a Piper tube and fabric rudder. It didn't. Had to modify and cover another rudder. I see now they have one they say fits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    or most likely playing their synthetic vision and profile view rather than looking out the window.
    Me too. I can't count the number of times recently I have heard people who I thought were good pilots say, " I saw this guy really close but he wasn't showing up on my ADSB". Everyone should keep their eyes out the window when VFR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RRHall View Post
    Me too. I can't count the number of times recently I have heard people who I thought were good pilots say, " I saw this guy really close but he wasn't showing up on my ADSB". Everyone should keep their eyes out the window when VFR.
    Those are the people who can't fathom that there are 70 year old planes whose owners fly in rural environments, and don't see the need to hang electronic crap on their plane. I live in the world of TCAS, synthetic vision, EVAS, etc. But, irrespective of how much equipment the plane has, that is secondary to looking out the windows! Like I used to tell my F/O's in training...If any of the onboard computers are ahead of the one between your ears, there is a problem!
    Now, back to the topic of the post. I have a nice low profile LED beacon, but have been struggling with where (and how) to mount it. I agree that the top is likely the best place. But, really don't want to have to go through the hassle of having to mount it on the rudder.
    Some years ago, I installed Whelen "Comet Flash" strobes. But, as is detailed above (and in many other posts), the tail strobe would not fit in the rudder. So, am using just the two wing tip strobes for now. Also, many of the new LED nav lights have a pulse mode, and I use that during daylight hours. Been flying for many years, and came close about 10 years ago to getting a photo of carnage on the front page of the paper. Made a vow to use lighting to make my plane as visible as possible. LED lighting has made that possible. LED landing lights on both wings will be a huge safety and operational improvement in the future!
    Last edited by pa20; 04-05-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2021 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

When done, my PA-16 will have a Skybeacon on the left, and a Skysensor on the right (Field Approval). A FS4000 Flight Strobe on the belly (Bracket welded to the ting just aft of the baggage compartment). LED landing lights on both wings controlled by Max Pulse, with one leg of the pulse also going to an LED replacement for an 1157 on the tail pulsing the bright side of the LED. Some of this is STC, some is Field Approval. I think there will be enough flashing lights to be seen assuming someone is looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, yes Whalen has a tail nav that is now designed for the cub/pacer tail.

I have been talking with them and will likely do a full Whalen setup. Orion 360 belly strobe/beacon, Orion 550 on the back. Orion 650s on the wing tips and four of their pro series landing/taxi lights. And like DGA, likely use a max pulse controller.
    Bucket list: be mistaken for a ufo by a unknowing soccer mom