Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripacer tire recommendation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tripacer tire recommendation

Need help. Im due for tires on mains. Replace them all along with tubes, or just the ones I need? Air Trac, Air Hawk, Super, Hawk, Aero Trainer..... Im confused about the differences. What are you guys recommending?
    Thanx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tripacer tire recommendation

Depending on where you live, and shipping,either Wilkerson or Desser recap 6.00x6 assuming you are wearing them out and not replacing due to cracked sidewalls due to age. Recaps will give you twice the wear of new tires and cost less. Doesn’t matter what brand the carcass is. If weather checks are the problem you don’t fly enough! Buy the cheapest new tire.

You are supposed to replace the tube when you replace the tire. It isn’t required, but consider the time to pull and split the wheel later just to save some money reusing the tube.

Download and read both the Goodyear and Michelin tire manuals! Lots of good info related to tire care and maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap airline pilot here. I’ll second retreads. I am six years into my Desser recaps, they are great! They have (or had) a “monster” version with even more rubber on them but unless you are doing training the tires will rot before you wear them out.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Im just using them up. I fly usually at least a couple times a week. I do a lot of pattern work when im bored, trying different techniques, and loading the plane in different configurations. I should probably start using the turf runways more often. Many airports around here have them but I usually just head for the pavement. I'll look into recaps too.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestion but I switched my mains to 700x6. Works better on grass. Got stuck once in mud wasn't fun getting out, and looks better.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the tires on airliners are recapped. They go several cycles before retirement. Good for both the environment and the wallet!!! As was said previously, the recap rubber tends to be harder than original. In over 25 years of 135/121 flying I’ve only seen one tire that just came apart and the guess was that it had lost pressure first (it shed its tread on takeoff and the crew didn’t know).
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    Just a suggestion but I switched my mains to 700x6. Works better on grass. Got stuck once in mud wasn't fun getting out, and looks better.
    Don't think that can be done without paperwork of some sort.
    Last edited by J Ryd; 04-12-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not on TCDS so yes technically an issue, it would be up to your IA to determine minor mod or FA needed. Given the current climate of FAs I consider it a minor mod.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Installed the Monster recaps from Desser on an Amphibious Super Cub I maintain on the recommendation of a buddy in Alaska that operates one 4-500 hrs a year. He said they last longer on a small tired, heavy airplane.

Got a field approval years ago on a Tri-Pacer with 8.50s. Had to air the nose strut all the way up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Installed the Monster recaps from Desser on an Amphibious Super Cub I maintain on the recommendation of a buddy in Alaska that operates one 4-500 hrs a year. He said they last longer on a small tired, heavy airplane.

Got a field approval years ago on a Tri-Pacer with 8.50s. Had to air the nose strut all the way up.
    The main issue with going larger tires is the prop clearance requirement is with the strut and tire on the nose flat! If you increase diameter of the mains, that will reduce the prop clearance. You need 7” clearance minimum with normal inflation, and positive clearance with the nose tire and strut deflated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk