Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Vertical Stabilizor; rib stiching

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Vertical Stabilizor; rib stiching

I've had a 'spot' on my vert stab that I have been keeping watch on, pilot side, spot about the size of a pencil eraser end that the top coat is cracking. During up coming annual planned on trying to put a scope up inside to hopefully see what may be causing it.

Then, as I started doing more digging, I've now realized that when it was covered, they did not rib stitch along the top channel per drawing 13925.

so, now I am doing more research as to potential options to resolve, on a finished flying airplane.
    less than 500 hours since it was covered
    fuse and tail feathers is Razorback

Thoughts?

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vertical Stabilizor; rib stiching

I got involved in a Stinson that they had not screwed the fabric above the cockpit to the four stringers as they should have.
    I had him masking tape a either side of where a 2” tape should be over the stringer and scotch brite the paint. Then we laid the 3/8” cotton reinforcing tape https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...rcingtapes.php
    over the top of the stringers and put the screws thru that into the stringers. Then a 2” tape was placed over that using Stewart’s glue. I would that but rib stitch the channel your tail.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gilbert!
    That’s what I had in my mind. Good to hear I’m on the right track.

Already had sent note to Stewart’s about ability to do color match with their top coat products too. Hopefully get close anyway.

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

the fin comes off easily---- the only aggravating part would be replacing the little swoop between the fin and the rear fuse.
    I would assume the swoop part was the end of the fuselage fabric---- so I guess there would have to be a lapped seam there of some kind when it went back. Once off you could just re-cover the fin----
    I have only done a little fabric-- so im sure someone else can chime in on if that swoop would he hard or easy----
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cut out some inspection rings in your wings and use the material you cut out to make dollar patches that you can glue over the rib stitches with Stewarts glue.