Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OK City isn't OK

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OK City isn't OK

As soon as you tell FAA an aircraft was disassembled, they assume it is scrapped or destroyed. Causes BIG problems down the road! Read Order 8100.19.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a semantics issue. You might try using different words with them. Don't say disassembled. Say, "in the process of replacing the fabric covering". Just a thought... Seems like Steve has been down this path too, and Clyde's numbers may appease the beast, er.. FAA.

Post Thanks / Like

But his previous owner already screwed the pooch on him! Once the registration lapses, if ownership transfers, you are bound to run into problems. Best to get the seller to fix the registration before buying a project, er expect to not get registration until the restoration is complete. Problem there is you will have tens of thousands invested but no assurance in getting it registered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    What I am saying is that they have the same numbers Clyde has. They are checking boxes. Show them the frame number etc and their boxes are checked as are those of the FAA.
    What do you do when the serial number isn’t there or doesn’t match a frame number? Everything can be changed with a PMA’d or original salvaged part. My 1942 Cub is a good example. It was rebuilt from salvaged parts purchased from the Army in the fifties. The frame number does not match the factory build sheet and is a couple of thousand units newer than the original as indicated by the master cylinder positions. At least one of my wings was replaced as well (replaced with a rebuilt wing for $125 according to a letter I found). There is no actual record of the rebuild. There is a letter from a previous owner in the FAA file declaring the the airplane to be unusable scrap. Another letter in the file (from the mechanic) states the aircraft was being rebuilt using new and salvaged Piper parts. The logs start with the 1958 FAA certification and it is registered as a 1958 J3C-65. I think whoever lets the registration on my Cub expire is likely in for a heap of trouble, then again, maybe those letters would help clear a path if the registration lapses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would find the serial numbers I got from Clyde, send them to the FAA, get my registration and/or airworthiness certificate and get on with life. The buerocrats get hung up on this stuff but as you noted every part on the airplane can legally be replaced but if that were the case it would complicate things for them and you in this case.

Post Thanks / Like

The frame number was always several numbers off from the official Piper serial number. Here is the Factory build sheet for my Clipper serial number 16-453 and frame number 16-460.
    There are probably more than few airplanes such as Jeff’s that have had the frames replaced. I don’t think the FAA normally has access to the frame number. Replace the frame and stamp the original number on if you have to get the FAA involved over a cancelled registration.

Note the wing numbers are on the build sheet. I know for a fact several spars have been replaced on mine as it is noted in the log books and one I replaced so they can’t use those numbers for any thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 05-05-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    The frame number was always several numbers off from the official Piper serial number. Here is the Factory build sheet for my Clipper serial number 16-453 and frame number 16-460.
    There are probably more than few airplanes such as Jeff’s that have had the frames replaced. I don’t think the FAA normally has access to the frame number. Replace the frame and stamp the original number on if you have to get the FAA involved over a cancelled registration.

Note the wing numbers are on the build sheet. I know for a fact several spars have been replaced on mine as it is noted in the log books and one I replaced so they can’t use those numbers for any thing.

Is there somewhere I can get that sheet for my Tri-Pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the cub doctor (cubdoctor.com)
    use the contact to request a data build sheet. Clyde will provide
    and give address info. You will send payment.
    Easy as that!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post

My 22/20 is 22-5422 with a frame number of 5443. I do not have my original wings (long story on a different thread), but I do have a data plate (which is mounted on a removable floorboard!)

IMG_1984.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 05-07-2021 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added build sheet
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

If I had a nickel for every time someone gave the FAA too much information and the FAA screwed up paperwork for an airworthy flying machine, I’d be a rich man full of run on sentences...

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org