Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: types of beacons for top of rudder ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default types of beacons for top of rudder ?

I have noticed that many of the older red beacons on the top of piper rudders are just HUGE-----
    are there Modern LED ones that are smaller and have less girth ? Maybe skinnier and more streamlined ?
    I am repairing my rudder now-- so now would be a good time to prepare a perch for something there......

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: types of beacons for top of rudder ?

I have put these on two Super Cubs with the rudder mounted beacon. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=4073

Post Thanks / Like

May be a stupid question but does my Colt have to have a beacon to fly? It doesn't currently and if it is something required (I can't seem to find a definitive answer) to fly VFR daytime I will have to find one somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have put these on two Super Cubs with the rudder mounted beacon. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=4073
    Steve,

The STC for that strobe has a double asterisk note in the AML for the Pipers. It reads that you have to install Univair STC 4-977 concurrently. Does that mean you have to install the Univair fiberglass rudder beacon mount in addition to the beacon?

Wouldn’t it be simpler to install Whelen’s 650 wingtip anti collision,position lights?

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    Steve,

The STC for that strobe has a double asterisk note in the AML for the Pipers. It reads that you have to install Univair STC 4-977 concurrently. Does that mean you have to install the Univair fiberglass rudder beacon mount in addition to the beacon?

Wouldn’t it be simpler to install Whelen’s 650 wingtip anti collision,position lights?

Todd
    There is a Whelen version that is a direct replacement to the old Whelen that Piper installed from the factory on the late 70s and early 80 model Super Cubs. The 1979 Super Cub I installed this on was pretty stock and was just replaced. The 1982 I installed wing tip and rudder strobes and he wanted this in addition to. I would have just cut the mount off and gone with strobes myself but he wanted as much visibility as possible and I have to admit it does catch your eye in the day time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RRHall View Post
    May be a stupid question but does my Colt have to have a beacon to fly? It doesn't currently and if it is something required (I can't seem to find a definitive answer) to fly VFR daytime I will have to find one somewhere.
    Whelens install manual is a good source for VFR Night anti collision and position light info.

It is my opinion that you could install the Orion 650 STC approved wingtip position lights with anti collision white LEDs. No need for strobes, power box or even a tail beacon. It would enhance day safety and cover you if needed for night. https://flywat.com/collections/aircr...ducts/or6502ge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 05-22-2021 at 05:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you would have to move it to the apex of the tip bow to legally get the rear coverage or install the tail ani collision position light.
    Basically what I have been doing with the AEROLEDs Pulsar NS on wing tips and SunTail on the tail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I think you would have to move it to the apex of the tip bow to legally get the rear coverage or install the tail ani collision position light.
    Basically what I have been doing with the AEROLEDs Pulsar NS on wing tips and SunTail on the tail.
    Makes sense now. I could not understand why the STC said you have to use the Univair fiberglass rudder fairing.

Post Thanks / Like

Man- I could by gold teeth for what whelen wants for their LED unit--- like 1300 $
    I did see one called a "PSA 927" thats pretty small for about 120 $ --- not sure if that fits us though....

Post Thanks / Like

I was concerned about the weight of my beacon/strobe. Got rid of the hideous Whitiker mount and bowling ball weight of the HRCFA strobe. I installed a Whelen Orion 360 at .3 lb. 1.5" tall by 2.5" diameter. I used the original beacon mount #1625-00 fron Univair to mount on the rudder post.
    Crazy thing.. I called and they said they dont have that part anymore. I then got the Piper drawings from the CD. My IA said sure, make the part as owner produced and he'd do the paperwork. After making it I had to pick up some stuff from Univair. I showed them the parts I so proudly made. They went in the back and found some old stock.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by J Ryd; 08-04-2022 at 11:32 PM.