Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Building wing racks for trucking

Flying out of Hong Kong, hoping to get home
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Building wing racks for trucking

Hello All,

I have to move some projects in a rental truck. I am going to build some wing racks to carry the wings. I am interested in suggestions for strap to support the wings. Last set I built I just used seat belt strapping out of some dead cars. Worked fine but difficult to get for this mission and I worry it leaves the wing only supported on a 2" wide strap. Any suggestions? Could also kale them with a long 2x4 for the leading edge to sit on. I am getting the truck with a bunch of moving blankets. Wings are also uncovered but I am not sure about how well it would work to hang them by having the spars sit on wood or padded wood. Last time I did this I only had to go 20 miles, this trip will be 500 miles.

Ideas? Pictures?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Building wing racks for trucking

I have seen strips of carpet used or wide ratchet straps with no issues. I would make sure they lay on a rib. I have always transported with an open trailer. Some pictures of some wing racks used to transport wings that support them at the spar and strut attach fittings in this thread. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ansport-thread

Flying out of Hong Kong, hoping to get home
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Building wing racks for trucking

Well, I got off easy. The seller made some stands for the wings already and I used those.
    Image of one very full 26 truck. A bunch of Waco parts and the Tri Pacer.
    Attached Images Attached Images