Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Engine first run since I got the Colt Project

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine first run since I got the Colt Project

While far from complete I ran the engine of the colt for the first time since I had obtained the project. This engine was installed years ago from another plane and had been pickled then sitting. Made good Static RPM. Started at 2300 and when warmed up a bit went to 2375. The mighty O-235 was raring to go. Couple issues to iron out though. Charging and vacuum systems didn't seem to be working worth a darn.

I have a video but can't seem to upload it.

https://www.facebook.com/rodney.hall...21436261214403

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Engine first run since I got the Colt Project

Such a great moment for you!
    The engine sure sounds healthy, which I'm sure is a relief. Also it looks as though you had quite a bit of interest from the local flying/ maintenance guys.

I really need to get back to my plane, haven't even been out to it in seven months....
    Forrest Miller

Post Thanks / Like

Get working on it. I can't do much as I get about half a day most weekends to work on it.
    It was great to finally make sure the engine was in good shape. Made good static RPM although it did uncover a few other issues. I don't think the charging system is working and while moving it around the tailwheel wouldn't unlock so it will be disassembled and looked at.

Post Thanks / Like

If the tailwheel is a Scott, Steve P has some good videos about it on YouTube. While you are at it check the arch of your tailwheel spring.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    If the tailwheel is a Scott, Steve P has some good videos about it on YouTube. While you are at it check the arch of your tailwheel spring.
    I removed the Tailwheel last night and took it apart after watching the videos. It is a Scott 3200. No significant problems except it has 5 springs installed and probably 30 year old grease congealed everywhere. Works a lot better now. Not sure how tight to make the nut so I turned it down hard and backed it off until I could line up a hole for the cotter pin. How loose should it be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tighten till it turns smoothly and the fork doesn't rock head.