Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Carb heat cable replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carb heat cable replacement

I went to replace my carb heat cable today and after removal the new one looks about 8 inches longer . My I/A had gone home by then so I will ask here
    Did I order the wrong part from Univair ? ( I have the drawings but looking now for the flash drive )
    or do you trim to fit ? Im talking about the outside of the cable

79E6AF7B-9B85-4660-B383-FCB3B624C069.jpeg

CBE3E44C-0D2C-4897-BC27-24D7D82E35F8.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Carb heat cable replacement

...Or possibly the old cable had already been "trimmed to fit" over the years? I know one of my cabin heat cables is a tad on the short side....

Post Thanks / Like

The end of the cable gets rehaped and brakes off from metal fatigue. Trimming the cable is a common solution. Using your old cable for length may not be accurate.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Just trimmed it. The outside sheath , sorry not the internal wire. Im all set now. Thanks !

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know the drawing number to find the detailed view of how the swivel connects to the box arm? PA22/serial# 22-4165 Lycoming 0-320 150hp.

Sorry, Im learning how to use the CD . I have tried to find it on 13101. 14706 and 14465. No luck yet

Post Thanks / Like

On mine, the cable slipped into to the fitting on the inside, toward the carb heat box. That machined swivel piece goes in, with the narrow end into the hole in the box control arm. The threaded piece with the hole in it slips through the swivel piece from the outside, then the cable is slipped through the hole. Then the washer and either a castle nut/cotter pin or a hi-temp stop nut (?) pulls on the threaded piece until the cable is pulled into the swivel to make a slight loop. Ensure that the cable is held securely, and that everything still rotates easily.

You might have to squint, but here's a couple pics --

DSC04041.JPG DSC08621.jpg DSC08632.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Walt That’s exactly what I have
    just doesn’t seem as smooth as it could be . It does swivel but not through the whole stroke . The last maybe 1/4 inch of cable it stops swiveling . The hole for the hardware is the correct size , no metal burs ect . I’m getting it inspected this afternoon, wanted to verify I had the correct hardware
    and it’s not over tightened . I thightened it to the first hole I could get the pin in without the cable slipping

Post Thanks / Like

That 3rd pic above shows why I ordered a new swivel piece -- you can see where the old one was really worn off in spots.

1) Any possibility yours is like that?

2) You might also disconnect the cable and see how smoothly the arm on the heat box moves -- maybe something inside the heat box on the flapper isn't quite correct....?

3) Is it possible the end of the cable, after it's been bent into a loop, is scratching against the side of the heat box? (I know mine was really close there; enlarge 2nd pic to see this.)

4) There are also "click-stop holes" on the box that an external dimple on the arm contacts... any improper fit there? (Again, refer to enlarged 2nd pic, and below)

Just thinking out loud here... hope you find the problem!

operating arm close-up.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I filed the backside of the arm and it seems to be doing good now . Put a dab of grease in before I assembled and now it super smooth . I/A is happy , I’m happy
    test flight went great
    Thanks for the help Walt !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am a bit late to the party but just ordered this part to replace some Jake leg thing someone installed on a J3 carb heat box.
    PXL_20210606_203950404.jpg
    PXL_20210606_204223468.jpg