Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspection Panel Removal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspection Panel Removal

I'm sorry if this is something that is so obvious that it shouldn't even be asked. I've exhausted my patience searching google, youtube, and this and other forums.

How does one remove those access panels, inspection plates, or whatever they are supposed to be called?

I'm fairly certain that these are identical to what I'm trying to remove from the wing of my Pacer.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...spectplate.php

I'm fairly certain that they pop (from convex to concave) and slip out, but how does one do this safely? I'm generally very gentle and cautious when it comes to disassembling something where the consequence of damage means I'll have to fix it. I may just need to be less delicate with them, but some confirmation would be reassuring before I break something.

If someone can point me to a good article or youtube video I would appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Inspection Panel Removal

Just slide it to one side with the rivets lined up far enough for one of the tangs to release from the fabris and then slide it the other way to release the other tang.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Just slide it to one side with the rivets lined up far enough for one of the tangs to release from the fabris and then slide it the other way to release the other tang.

Rick
    Yes, but how do you get it popped from convex to concave? Is there a special tool, or do you just pry with your fingernails?

Post Thanks / Like

Just push the center in, it will “pop” and stay concave until you “pop” it back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Just push the center in, it will “pop” and stay concave until you “pop” it back.
    And that won’t overstretch the fabric or anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Am I missing something? I've never heard of "popping" the plates concave???? As RickF says, slide the cover over as far as it will allow to let the spring tab on the back side out on one side. Then slide it back to let the other side of the spring tab free.

Jan
    ​Jan
    1960 PA22-150 "Spud"

Post Thanks / Like

I stick a finger under each side and push up with my thumbs to pop it to concave, then to install it I just push down in the center with my fingers. Thats how I was taught by an old timer 40 plus years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I do also. Index finger on each side push up on middle, it "pops" and then remove it. The opening should have a plastic ring and extra fabric over it so it won't damage the fabric. To reinstall I usually pop it back to normal and then slide it on. Always more than one way to do things so do what works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I give the center of the domed inspection covers a good sharp poke with my fingertip, they "pop" inverted with a satisfying "DOINK!" and then you don't scrape the paint or the internal reinforcement rings as you slide the covers out of position.
    Been doing that for 20 years on my PA22, and the fabric has not suffered at all.
    Once you have a couple off, un-invert them in your hand to get a feel for how much force you will need to reinstall them later.
    The covers that have notches to clear the fuel tank drains are the easiest to reinstall, you can get your fingers in there and "DOINK!" them back into un-inverted state.

If popping the covers stretches or damages the fabric, then be glad you found it on the ground.

Pro tip: Select a cover somewhere out on the wing away from the cabin and duct tape a spare airplane key inside the cover.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I WAS missing something! Haha, I must be a DOINK for not knowing this. It's the simplest things that make you look dumb (I better check my shoes. Make sure they're on the right feet)

Jan
    Last edited by J Ryd; 07-09-2021 at 12:41 PM.
    ​Jan
    1960 PA22-150 "Spud"