Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 57A going back together

Post Thanks / Like

Default 57A going back together

So the process has begun.... Got the engine hung yesterday, of course with a few glitches -- first, we had to cut the safety wire, cut through a couple beads of RTV, disconnect, and then pull away one of the hard oil cooler lines to fit in the %$@# tachometer cable's end past the spin-on oil filter. (Remembered -- after the fact-- that I went through that when I removed the engine...)

Next, although I cleaned up the seal and the area around it, I've got a leak at the strut valve. Guess I need a new aluminum crush washer; there's slight bubbling there.

But the engine's now back on, and I'll begin to replace all the stuff I had to take off last year....(and then re-pressurize the strut...)

DSC09949.jpg DSC09952.jpg DSC09953.jpg DSC09956.jpg
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 07-11-2021 at 05:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 57A going back together

%$@# is of course included in most every major mechanics task. If this is not happening your really gonna be in for it later, ha!
    Lookin good you lucky dog.

Post Thanks / Like

It DOES look very nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments; that was one thing I was waiting for an opportunity to accomplish, to clean up the whole front end. Unfortunately (or, it could be argued, fortunately) that chance appeared when the engine needed to be pulled.

Not sorry now for the many hours I put in getting things cleaned up, repaired, and painted. Makes that shiny "new" engine look good!

Strut was fixed with a new aluminum crush washer under the valve fitting and another shot of nitrogen; no bubbles and 3.5" of chrome showing, even after reefing on the engine to flex the suspension. Mounting bolts now all torqued to 1.84" between metal washers & frame flanges, cotter pins inserted. Now on to the oil cooler and then exhaust....

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust, including muffler, is now test-fit (held in with one loose nut on each exhaust outlet, no gaskets or clamps yet) and looks good. Tomorrow I'll pull manifolds back off and go for a permanent install, then on to front baffles and oil cooler....

DSC09964.jpg DSC09967.jpg DSC09968.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Save for the muffler clamps, exhaust now all in & torqued; front baffles & oil cooler almost done -- need to shift hard line over where it goes through baffle grommet -- a little tighter there than I'd like.

DSC09967.jpg DSC09969.jpg DSC09975.jpg DSC09974.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Got hard line shifted over a tad, now much better. Side baffles on. Chin scoop baffle loosely installed. Next, carb/airbox assembly. Progress.

DSC09983.jpg DSC09984.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Noticed the cylinder bases have green paint where there were 160 horsepower support plates.. did you use 160 cylinders on a 150 engine..??

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Beyond my pay grade, Brian. I do know that the info sent by Aerotec mentioned changing cylinders to wide-deck versions (new Lycoming), and somebody else mentioned something about that green paint in a different thread, but I don't know. I'm just trying to get the thing back together at this point; perhaps someone else can answer your question.

Discovered today that it IS possible to mount the carb, airbox, air filter and carb air scoop, all assembled as a single unit --man, that makes it easier!! All I had to do was remove my temporarily-installed chin scoop baffle, just 2 screws. Had to rotate assembly clockwise about 45 degrees, poke up the front so the leather strips contacted the strut, rotate back to horizontal, then lift carb up & onto the studs.

DSC09991.jpg DSC09992.jpg DSC09993.jpg DSC09994.jpg
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 07-22-2021 at 10:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Beyond my pay grade, Brian. I do know that the info sent by Aerotec mentioned changing cylinders to wide-deck versions (new Lycoming), and somebody else mentioned something about that green paint in a different thread, but I don't know. I'm just trying to get the thing back together at this point; perhaps someone else can answer your question.

Discovered today that it IS possible to mount the carb, airbox, air filter and carb air scoop, all assembled as a single unit --man, that makes it easier!! All I had to do was remove my temporarily-installed chin scoop baffle, just 2 screws. Had to rotate assembly clockwise about 45 degrees, poke up the front so the leather strips contacted the strut, rotate back to horizontal, then lift carb up & onto the studs.

DSC09991.jpg DSC09992.jpg DSC09993.jpg DSC09994.jpg

You can't put wide deck cylinders on a narrow deck engine!