Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 57A going back together

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 57A going back together

Yes but the conflict is my last posted pic showing drawing 14927, the horn. Your posted drawing, 13113 is the original starting from the #1 serial and up but later came a different drawing (14927) that came starting at serial # 3218 and up. No mention of superseding prior drawings.
    I wouldnt worry about replacing it with the longer/spring version since your normal cat anyway. ..right?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, your question... normal and utility category. Utility cat. planes are stronger and withstand stronger loads. I believe with our planes you must remove the rear seats and other things like the differences in that drawing shows. Utility allows spins.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was wondering. As far as I know, my poor plane is a Plain Jane "normal" category... though I can't say I understand --in spite of reading and re-reading descriptions of the various categories-- just what "utility" means... and just where my plane fits in. Perhaps Steve or Gilbert can edumucate me on this.

Oops -- just saw your post, Bill, Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Utility category is a reduced gross weight that in my Clipper allows me to do spins.
    You can see the PA22-150 limitations when operating in the utility category which is restricted to two people and a gross weight of 1600 lbs.
    https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G.../$FILE/1A6.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Out of that PDF file you'll find for our PA-22-150's They refer you ... See note 3 for operations in normal or utility cat.
    NOTE 3. Serial Nos. 22-3218, 22-3387 and up, of Model PA-22-150 or PA-22-160, are eligible to be operated as a Normal or Utility Category Airplane in compliance with the approved Airplane Flight Manual provided Item 407 (Control modification kit) is installed. Propeller Item 6 is not eligible when Item 407 is installed.
    There are many other requirements for operations in utility. A big one is they limit your center of gravity way forward on the chart. 2-person limit also.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I see that -- Note 3, on page 15. Thank you both for the link to that PDF and the explanations, I've saved a copy of that for my files. Learn something new every day.

May I take it that:

1) "Item 407 (Control modification kit)" is the longer steering arm with the springs on it?
    2) Since I don't have that, my plane (SN3868 ) is NOT eligible for operation in the Utility Category? (No problem there, don't plan to)

Thanks again -- Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Item 407 is the control system modification, it includes the longer nose wheel steering arm and springs, but also includes the aileron rudder interconnect removal. It also requires the flight manual supplement.
    Without item 407, you are a normal category only aircraft. Your aircraft is eligible for installation of Item 407 by serial, but it was optional.

Utility allows spins, chandelles, Lazy8s, steep turns and stalls(except whip stalls) at a reduced gross weight and smaller CG envelope. With the lower gross weght, it increases the G limit from 3.8 to 4.4 positive, but no negative G maneuvers are permitted.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for that explanation!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t realize that restriction. I thought all our planes could operate in utility category.

Post Thanks / Like

So the weather is finally beginning to warm up... I simply cannot take working in our unheated, uninsulated, metal hangar in the winter!

So work will soon begin again on 57A; we successfully added 3/4" to left-side exhaust manifold and now have the steering arms in place, which now fit correctly with no binding or rubbing; hopefully we'll be able to shift the muffler 3/8" to the right and gain the clearance for the rt side steering arm that was needed. After that, I believe we just need to put all the cowls back and drag it outside for initial tests. BTW, the front strut has held its 4" perfectly all winter.

A question: I have a 4-cylinder CHT gauge that was given to me, but unfortunately only works on 3 cylinders and Aerospace Logic says it's too old for repair. So the question is -- would a 4-cylinder CHT gauge be a worthwhile investment? (I have only the single-cylinder CHT that came with the plane.) It appears a current Aerospace Logic gauge would be about $1K. Should I consider this? At least my "new" engine has CHT taps in the cylinders!

Walt