Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 57A going back together

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 57A going back together

Hi Walt

Don't stress- you have the correct cylinder combination on your engine

Please follow:
    2 things that make me state this as fact
    1. on post 15 you posted a picture of the cylinder assemblies with the part number 05K21423-A
    If you research Lycoming service instruction 1037A.- dated Aug 25/21 this clearly states that you have the correct assembly for your engine. you have the correct 75413 piston( low compression)
    https://www.lycoming.com/service-instruction-1037Y
    These are Class 6 cylinders( lycoming classification)SPOT faced
    Class 8 cylinders are not spot faced and use hold down plates

2. post 16

this clearly shows internal wrenching nuts that appear to be torqued properly. If you did not have Class 6 spot faced cylinders and had Class 8 cylinders the internal wrenching nuts would not work. the reason your cylinder are spot faced is for the internal nuts to fit. the internal radius from the barrel to the flange are different. if you tried to use internal nuts on a cylinder that uses hold down plates they would hit the barrel making it impossible to torque them down properly without damaging the barrels or case studs.

hope this makes sense

just to double check I stopped by the local engine shop this morning to confirm what I am stating. we put both classes of cylinder on the bench.....( got a lecture LOL)

as I see it the only problem is the paperwork stating wide deck cylinders where installed. Contact Aerotec and they will make it right

hope this helps
    take care
    Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Shane. (Is it that obvious that I'm stressing?)

Talking with Andy this AM (my A&P/IA), I think we got it figured out that we have the right parts, just the wide-deck stuff on the paperwork is really weird.

Also, here's another pic that shows more clearly what I was taking about above; it really does look like the surface was milled all along the flange as opposed to being spot-faced only under each nut. If that was in fact done, that might also explain the zinc chromate primer there.

Why that wasn't later painted over with Lycoming gray, I have no clue, but it really doesn't bother me.

DSC09766.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Walt

here is the info on cylinder classification- in case you where curious

https://www.adamsaviation.com/files/...logues/eci.pdf

it sucks getting older

in following this thread something was nagging at me- I couldn't remember something about your engine and cylinder combo. it's been 30 years since I worked in an engine shop.
    In doing some research I remembered - finally- that internal nuts would only work on your case if you used spot faced cylinders. if you used a cylinder with hold down plates your case studs would have to be longer. conversely if you tried to use spot faced cylinders on a case with longer studs , you wouldn't be able to get the internal wrench in the nut

you do nice work

shane-o

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Thanks, Shane. (Is it that obvious that I'm stressing?)

Talking with Andy this AM (my A&P/IA), I think we got it figured out that we have the right parts, just the wide-deck stuff on the paperwork is really weird.

Also, here's another pic that shows more clearly what I was taking about above; it really does look like the surface was milled all along the flange as opposed to being spot-faced only under each nut. If that was in fact done, that might also explain the zinc chromate primer there.

Why that wasn't later painted over with Lycoming gray, I have no clue, but it really doesn't bother me.

DSC09766.jpg
    I see the scallop machining. All good.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Steve. Another mystery solved. Question, if you know: would that machining have been done by/at Lycoming, before shipping the cylinder kits?

In other developments, I got a response from Aerotec yesterday, after my A&P sent them a rather pointed email.

As I was beginning to suspect, apparently there was a paperwork mix-up while doing another engine at the same time; my engine log -- and the entry concerning wide deck conversion-- was a mistake, shouldn't have been there.

Aerotec is sending a new log book with corrections, old one to be destroyed. Also will be getting the paperwork, with a full diagnostic report, on my crankcase repair, done by Crankcase Services in OK. (Hadn't seen that before, either.)

Breathing a bit easier now, back to work....

Post Thanks / Like

Flash!

Haven't been down to see it yet, but my A&P says alternator, belt (new aviation-grade belt, as opposed to the original NAPA belt that was on it), ring gear, nose bowl and spinner backing plate all in -- progress resumes at last, just about ready for prop!

EDIT: Went down today & looked.. looks good! Prop is now back in hangar, ready for install. Another reason to celebrate today!

PS: I can see where I'll need another quick shot of nitrogen in the strut -- it leaked down a bit over the last few weeks, but now seems to have stabilized. Hopefully not a recurring issue...

Nose bowl!.jpg
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 09-12-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So now prop & spinner are on, as well as all cowl pieces (including the chin scoop scat tube!).

Really looks like an airplane now... I'm sure there's something else left to do, but I believe it's just about ready for oil & fuel. Here's my A&P just finishing with attachment of top "hood" cowl section --

DSC00183.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great, almost time to fly!

Post Thanks / Like

That is one to be proud of. Almost like it was new off the factory floor. I would love to know what it felt like flying a PA-22 with a zero time engine. Lucky dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for the compliments!

I know I'm still adding things to the "to do" list, like a brake fluid leak I had eliminated (I thought) some years back -- I got lucky and was able to stop it by tightening an AN fitting... but it started again. This time I let my A&P do it, as I was afraid of over-tightening. This was on a brake line that runs near the floor gascolator, above the right LG belly pan.

DSC00175.jpg

After working the rudder pedals a month or so ago, apparently the brakes were also pushed, and a couple weeks later I noticed the red drip. So yesterday Andy tightened it again and we'll observe it for a while before re-nstalling that belly pan.

Unfortunately, due to 5606 fluid leaking and traveling down the LG strut (both recently and in the past), I noticed the paint on the strut is really looking ratty -- so yet another project, this time to the LG: disassemble, blast the metal tubes, closely inspect, and then re-paint...

Oh -- and as far as flying a zero-hr O-320 in my TP... yes, I'm curious too. But hey, Bill -- for only 30 grand, you too can have that experience!