Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: 57A going back together

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 57A going back together

Well, no joy...yet.

Got the new CHT wired in, then spent an hour or two weighing the plane. As I have dual toe brakes, there's no "parking brake" -- which made the whole exercise rather frustrating -- the ^%#^ thing kept rolling off the divider frames Andy used.

We did finally get it, however, and it seems (rough tally at this point) to be right where it ought to be, around 1100 lbs empty (but with 5 qts of break-in oil in the engine). We subtracted for the approximately 7 gallons of 100LL in the tanks, but will have to add for the right seat that's not installed at the moment. Also checked out the electrics -- all lights OK, and the new CHT gauge lights up -- but I still have to calibrate/initialize that and enter Lycoming max hi/low temps.

Having ANOTHER tooth pulled tomorrow (don't ask), so that will slow me down for a while, but the next thing is for Andy & I to sit down and go through all the paperwork and update the logbooks. I estimate that alone will take a few hours, what with all we have to "catch up on"... so 57A will have to sit for a few more days, most likely. Andy did say, however, "About the only thing left is to check out the engine...." so we're that close. I can almost taste it....

I must say it's a new experience walking to the front of the hangar to get to my plane instead of going all the way to the back corner!

DSC00007.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Walt! What dual toe brake STC, I have the Univair and have a parking brake. I can understand the frustration, my IA and I struggled to keep the airplane level and on the scales with the Tailwheel!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

This plane came with the Williams dual toe-brake set-up, and no parking brake that I'm aware of.

We went at it again today, still dealing with the plane rolling... I think we finally got it -- at least Andy's satisfied. This was after installing the right seat and removing anything else that shouldn't be there. He'll add in for the fire extinguisher later; we just have to figure out where to put it! Once the extinguishers mounted and Andy finishes with all the paperwork, I guess it'll be ready for its first flight.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use a set of the lever arm style scale plates.. never did like them.. I use LongAcre racing scales now.. much better, and I can use wheel chocks on the weigh cells..

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I'll run that by my A&P; that's got to be a better way.... (sent you a PM)

Post Thanks / Like

Mine has the William's toe brake and a parking brake. I thought the parking brake was part of the STC? I'll have to look.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    ​Jan
    1960 PA22-150 "Spud"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is, just a cable and spring that pinches the piston rod. Not everyone hooks them up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    It is, just a cable and spring that pinches the piston rod. Not everyone hooks them up.
    Dont tell Walt. LOL

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    ​Jan
    1960 PA22-150 "Spud"

Post Thanks / Like

Uhhhh... say what??

Steve, got any pics or further info on that? (Or how can I find info on a parking brake with the Wms set-up?)

Our fuel area is, in fact, on a bit of a slope - -there's been more than one time I wish I did have a parking brake!

A&P still going through paperwork (I hope)....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Look at any Cessna 150, 152, 172 etc. The system is right out of them. Should also show them in the Williams STC installation instructions.