Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: 57A going back together

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 57A going back together

Many of us have been there although you have had more work done at one time than most.
    I remember after a major overhaul, I said to the mechanic “let’s go fly”
    and he said “No way!” I said “don’t you always fly with the pilot post maintenance!??!”
    and he said emphatically “NO”

Post Thanks / Like

I am nervous before every flight. Once in the air it goes away. Complacency can get you in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    Many of us have been there although you have had more work done at one time than most.
    I remember after a major overhaul, I said to the mechanic “let’s go fly”
    and he said “No way!” I said “don’t you always fly with the pilot post maintenance!??!”
    and he said emphatically “NO”
    I don't ever want anyone in the plane with me post maint and not full fuel either. Being 300 pounds + lighter in the plane could be the difference between an unscheduled landing and a smoking hole in the ground.

I have done a lot of test flights on homebuilts and a few were one of the get this thing back on the ground ASAP. At lighter weights it takes less power to maintain level flight and just might be the difference in a short pattern versus off airport landing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have done several full rebuilds and I do a lot of questioning in my head when taxiing out for that first flight. I actually feel better about those than I have other flights in unknown aircraft. When my brother bought his Clipper in Lubbock and we were coming back home over the caprock and as I was looking at places I could put the thing down if need be he asked me why I thought he lost oil pressure on his 90 hp Super Cub. I told him I didn't know and I didn't want to talk about it right now. There was a long period of silence after that.

Post Thanks / Like

So it seems the day has finally arrived!

After three people's schedules AND the weather have all converged, the plan is for 57A to once again take to the skies today.

My A&P and CFI will both take it up, make some brief checks. Then, if all goes well, they'll fly it for a 2-hr stretch, land, re-check, eat, then back in the air for a second 2-hr stretch. That should handle Lycoming's break-in protocol, as I understand it. Hopefully, I'll be able to post some pics --with 57A flying-- later today.

THEN I get to go back to working on PPL.... Who, me? Nervous???

Post Thanks / Like

It’s going to be fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Well... no joy, at least not today.

Thought we had a fuel leak in the right wing, so everything stopped and root fairings were rapidly removed.... Turned out to be (we now believe) as simple as a full tank and the wing tilted downhill. Will check that out after spilled fuel in the wing is done evaporating. And we did get a ton of paperwork out of the way, so all the right stuff is now in the plane and radio & intercom have been tested.

Well, there are a few other squawks as well, like why did the ELT trip?? My CFI also feels (and my A&P agrees) that both the throttle and mixture cables are a bit stiffer than they ought to be.

So close... but that's what p-a-t-i-e-n-c-e is all about, right? We'll try again as soon as squawks are fixed and everybody's again available.

Still and all, I feel good about the day. Thanks for all your support!

Post Thanks / Like

'Nother update...

So I now have a new PTT switch (old one was falling apart); throttle cable has been lubricated to the point it's now acceptable; a new mixture cable --with vernier-- is on order; ELT now functioning properly; one tire will need replacing soon; brake fluid in both teensy master cylinders topped off; tire pressures up to snuff.

Wife & I leaving for a short RV trip, then maybe that $#@!$#@ thing will fly again..... stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like

Winter in the North East is around the corner. First flight maybe next year?