Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canít fly herÖ.. but she looks pretty!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Canít fly herÖ.. but she looks pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by didja View Post
    Iím in the Portland area. Got someone that I am hoping to connect with over the next month, but if that falls through, may reach out to ya for their contact info! I hate to see her sit for so long!
    I struggled finding a pacer instructor, but live out on the east coast. I ended up finding an instructor in scappose Oregon. If Dave is still training, he should be close by.

http://oregonflighttraining.com/training.html

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to find a trainer here at Lenhardtís airport! Training in a champ and having a blast learning to fly on the ground! Work them rudder pedals!!

Post Thanks / Like

In aviation, everyone has their own opinions and I guess I am no different. There is a difference between flying a pacer and a champ. I got my tail wheel sign off in a champ. Flew a cub for 5 years. But before I soloed my pacer I went and worked with Dave in scapoose for a week. I thought it was money well spent. Taught me about the nuances of a pacer. Told me things to look out for. Gave me his v numbers. Etc. I thought it was money well spent. I am sure you will get comments on here that disagree with me but some time in type with a Cfi made sense to me. And frankly, if I recall afemco required it before covering me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There is a difference between flying a pacer and a champ.

No joke. Our most experienced instructor with hundreds (thousands maybe?) of tailwheel hours, nearly all in a Citabria, recently got an RV6. I offered to take him up in the Pacer to "bridge the gap" before he got his insurance checkout. Holy crap he was sawing pedals like crazy in the flare and ground roll. He picked it up quick after the first few. I think it surprised him how different it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh absolutely! As soon as I am comfortable in flying tailwheel I am going to be finding someone that can fly with me in the Vagabond for transition training. There is a guy at the field that owns a vagabond, just got to get together with him!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by didja View Post
    Oh absolutely! As soon as I am comfortable in flying tailwheel I am going to be finding someone that can fly with me in the Vagabond for transition training. There is a guy at the field that owns a vagabond, just got to get together with him!
    Sure, I have been accused of being a nervous nelly. I know there are some pilots that are like if it has wings I can fly it. I am getting closer to that attitude but it take time and experience. You will get lots of opinions. I used to ask for folks recipes on here and if they didnít work concluded they didnít know what they were talking about. Now, my view is every one is telling their truth, but there are a ton of variables that may make what they are saying work for you or not. Even after flying the pacer in scappose, I found my plane flew a lot different. Dave had me wheel landing his stock pa-20 at 90kts. It worked but we were two 250lb guys in his pacer and he had a 5000 foot runway. Controlled the vsi, but Burned up a lot of runway and was exciting if you didnít keep it straight as you zing down the runway for a long roll out.

I flew with my father in law showing him my newly acquired skills when I got back, and he was like ďwell it works but man that is fast.. is that really how you have to fly pacers?Ē We took my pa-22/20 out with wing tips and vgs and around 200 less lbs. and he had me try 85. Felt better. Then 80, felt better. 75, felt better. 70 felt better. 65, worked but vsi seemed a little harder to manage. So now 70 is my stock air speed for me in my rig. Less entertaining to manage but the bottom doesnít fall out. Lately I have been trying a little tail low and can slow her down even more and burn up a lot less runway. Pick your battles work with folks who know what you are flying and evaluate if it is working or not. And make small adjustments. You will ultimately find something that makes sense for you and your rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk