Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Inspection ring question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspection ring question

Hello, it’s been a while since I posted. Wanted to see if this is normal. I have had two inspection covers on the bottom of my wings depart the plane: one last year and one last week. Both times when I investigated, the inspection ring was cracked in half and the glue attaching the ring to the wing had let go from the wing fabric. It looks like that creates enough flexibility for the tabs on the cover to pull through the fabric. My plane was a new built with ceconite/poly fiber 5 years ago. Any thoughts about this? Build issue? Normal wear and tear. Does tab orientation make a difference. I have been told by some to have the tabs perpendicular to the airflow, others say parallel, others say it doesn’t matter. Just getting tired of buying new inspection covers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Inspection ring question

Been discussed many times on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Upper right hand coroner box labeled SEARCH Type in INSPECTION COVER. Lots of threads on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, unfortunately a common issue. Did they put a fabric doily over the plastic inspection rings? they usually last longer with a fabric doily installed at recover. I run the tabs parallel to the slip stream and have even added a #4 PK screw through the plate and plastic grommet.

Here are some good Google search results using " lost inspection cover fix site:shortwingpipers.org"

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ming-Wing-Root

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...spection-Plate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Yep, unfortunately a common issue. Did they put a fabric doily over the plastic inspection rings? they usually last longer with a fabric doily installed at recover. I run the tabs parallel to the slip stream and have even added a #4 PK screw through the plate and plastic grommet.

Here are some good Google search results using " lost inspection cover fix site:shortwingpipers.org"

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ming-Wing-Root

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...spection-Plate
    Thanks Steve. When I repaired it I did add a doily. Hope that helps.thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Been discussed many times on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I didn’t recall hearing anyone say anything about this in the past 5 years I have been following the board. I am guilty of not searching this time. Assume I had something unique happening. Didn’t cross my mind to check.

Irritating it keeps happening but I guess it make me feel better to know that it isn’t operator error. I thought I was doing something stupid to make this happen so often. Never had another plane shed inspection covers like this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh hey, one more thing. Not sure if you are making the trip but I will be at oshkosh this year. If so, it would be great to meet. You are always super and helpful on here. Thanks again.