Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: D vs D2 Cylinders

Post Thanks / Like

Default D vs D2 Cylinders

My 0290 has D2 cylinders on it bought from Gibson's a few years back. Can someone tell me what the difference is between a D cylinder and a D2? Not talking about lifters, high compression piston's etc) just the cylinders themeselves.

Thanks
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: D vs D2 Cylinders

look at the fins between the intake and exhaust ports- if they have a upside down "V" shape they are a D2
    if the fins are straight the are a "D'

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I know they are D2 cylinders. I was just wondering what the difference was, and why one is preferred over the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Answer found by calling Marshall at Gibson's in Oklahoma (who provided the cylinders for a top end back a few years). The D2 cylinder has the intake valve openings (he used a different word) of the 0320. Simply put, they breathe a bit better. Of course this has nothing to do with hydraulic vs solid lifters or high compression pistons that are on the D2 engines.
    Scott