Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Selector Handle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel Selector Handle

I have an original Piper fuel valve which works well. No leaks and good detent feel.

Problem is my selector handle has slop. The D shaped interface to the fuel valve is wallowed out a little. This slop also causes the retainer screw to loosen. Not an ideal situation.

Has anyone replaced the stock handle, Pointer and knob arrangement with the 1 piece replacement from Univair (U61964-200)?

https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...le-fits-piper/

Looks like it has more engagement surface on the D shape of the fuel valve, giving me a better chance of a good fit even if the fuel valve D has some wear?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel Selector Handle

Good question. I've pondered the same thing. Also, if it fits, would the pointer face the selected tank, or the handle?
    If the handle orientation becomes opposite, that would concern me. Muscle memory could make things exciting at a critical time when exciting isn't what I want

Jan
    Last edited by J Ryd; 08-07-2021 at 10:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced my stock valve with the modified Allen valve from Univair. The Piper handle fitted that, but was still too sloppy for me, so I bought a handle from Aircraft Spruce and it fitted on well, no slop, and pointed the correct direction, so the flat on the shaft was correct. The handle doesn't appear in their catalog now, but it was something like their p/n 05-01915. It would appear from that, that the flat orientation might be standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I probably have some spare handles if you can't find one. A lot of times I have to back the screw out and use a small puller to get them off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I probably have some spare handles if you can't find one. A lot of times I have to back the screw out and use a small puller to get them off.
    Thanks for the offer Steve. My handle is real loose and I suspect there is some wear on the valve as well. I'm gonna get a Dakota Cub or Univair handle. They have alot more engagement on the valve, so there's a better chance for a good fit.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are interested in replacing the warn valve with a new valve, I have some Piper valves that came extra parts with my plane, a brand new old stock Piper valve part number 77413-2, it is old but never used, its the one on the left in the top picture, the one on the right is like it and also new, its one I bought from aircraft spruce the 6749 valve. The Piper valves handle and the brass valve stem the handle mates to have never been pressed together, it is TIGHT with no slop and should be fine for a few decades, the valve is built different than the original Pacer valve, this valve superseaded the original Pacer valve that has the AD, the second picture shows the guts of the valve, top one is the Piper 77413-2 valve that is in my plane now and the bottom is the aircraft spruce valve, the parts are the same. I dont need these valves, I will take 75 for the new old stock Piper valve with the new handle, you press that together with the screw and it won't have any slop in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    If you are interested in replacing the warn valve with a new valve, I have some Piper valves that came extra parts with my plane, a brand new old stock Piper valve part number 77413-2, it is old but never used, its the one on the left in the top picture, the one on the right is like it and also new, its one I bought from aircraft spruce the 6749 valve. The Piper valves handle and the brass valve stem the handle mates to have never been pressed together, it is TIGHT with no slop and should be fine for a few decades, the valve is built different than the original Pacer valve, this valve superseaded the original Pacer valve that has the AD, the second picture shows the guts of the valve, top one is the Piper 77413-2 valve that is in my plane now and the bottom is the aircraft spruce valve, the parts are the same. I dont need these valves, I will take 75 for the new old stock Piper valve with the new handle, you press that together with the screw and it won't have any slop in it.

Thanks for the offer. I ordered a selector handle from Dakota Cub today. I'll confirm fit and if it's an issue I'll get in touch.

Post Thanks / Like

The handle did not cure the issue. The “D” shape on the fuel valve is distorted too worn. Rather than mess around rebuilding the old valve with the recurring AD I decided to spend the $$ on a new valve from Univair.

I went with the Univair valve over the less expensive Dakota Cub valve because I like the simplicity of 3 positions, Off, Right, Left. I don’t have to consider the both position and have the tanks cross feeding. I like to know how much fuel is each tank at all times.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you do not have a Piper valve, the Piper valve is not a D shape, Weatherhead valves are D shaped, Piper valves have one curved side and 3 flat sides, look at my pics above those are Piper shafts, a Piper handle does not mate up to the D shaped valve shaft end. I am sure you will like the new Allen valve, the AD is for the 11383 valve, the Piper valve I posted above gets you out of the AD as well, the AD was the reason that valve was made, to replace the 11383 valve

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure it's an OG Piper Valve. The handle interface is just worn out.

DSC_2552.JPG
    DSC_2553.JPG

I'm looking forward to having the new valve with more positive detents and a tight fitting handle.