Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Selector Handle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel Selector Handle

That is the old 11383 valve, first thing I would have done is take that out if I bought a plane with one in it, the next gen brass valve is a huge improvement. They made some of the stems out of aluminum, looks like yours is one, I have seen those get torn up bad, I like the brass better, thats what I have.
    Last edited by PA-16; 08-26-2021 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The new Univair Valve and handle is in. It is a huge improvement over the old valve. Much smoother operation, less force required and more positive detent feel. Plus, the handle isn't loose and threatening to strip off!
    DSC_2784.JPG

DSC_2573.JPG

DSC_2569.JPG

Luckily when the fuselage was last covered they thought ahead and made provisions for an inspection cover near the fuel valve. They even provided a nicely formed, drilled and painted cover, which I received from the previous owner. This made removal and installation much easier. Without it I would have had to pull out the whole pilot's side of the interior and much of it is glued down.

DSC_2577.JPG

DSC_2576.JPG

I had to install and remove the new valve 3 times to get the 90deg flare adaptors lined up properly with the fuel lines. In the end everything was good and it was a straight bolt in.
    Last edited by moto657; 09-20-2021 at 12:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just installed the Univair fuel valve and discovered that the original style Piper selector handle/pointer does not fit the new valve selector shaft. There are no instructions with the valve to provide further guidance. Do you file the selector shaft to have the old style selector handle fit or is there a new selector handle that is supposed to function with the Univair valve? Thanks!
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like

I installed the Univair valve a few months ago. (What a nice feel compared to original) I just gingerly filed the handle to the point it fit snug.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    ​Jan
    1960 PA22-150 "Spud"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interesting, I never had to do that. Is it just a bit too tight or the index incorrect?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The new Univair fuel valve has a shaft that has flats on opposite sides while the old Piper valve had three flats. Usually described as a “D” shape. The new valve has no oblivious selector handle orientation like the Piper valve. A real safety gotcha with the new valve. I found that Univair has a selector handle for the new valve. It is $78 dollars plus shipping. It still looks like it can be installed 180 degrees out. You need to double check the fuel flow path.
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They must have changed something. All the ones I have installed had 3 flats.
    PXL_20220919_152213567.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a brand new old stock Piper valve, handle never been on this one, 3 flat sides and one round side. This is how my univair and Allen valves are also, the a Piper handle fits right on. If you look close you can see on this new valve the flat sides get smaller toward the valve body, so it is a tight fit to get the handle on, as you tighten the screw that holds the handle on it presses the handle on, usually needing a small puller to get back off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Mine had the 3 flats and one curved side (just like the original). The original handle fit was close but no way able to go over the valve shaft at all. Hence the careful filing notating exactly where to file. Nice tight fit now with no play at all. Makes no sense to buy an $80 dollar plastic handle.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    ​Jan
    1960 PA22-150 "Spud"